Loose Parts in Sub woofer. Sugestions ?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Baminated, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Baminated

Baminated Member

It appears that the two cardboard tubes are loose on the two ports. Here is the photo. How those can be reattached w/o coming loose again ?

[​IMG]

2. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Ureathane sealer/adhesive such as Geocell will work. Take the speaker out an get a good bead between the back of the baffle and the tube. It will need 24+ hours to really dry.

3. Baminated

Baminated Member

Oh. so those are NOT supposed to be inside the holes flush with the ridges of the port holes closer to the grill ??

By "back of the baffle", do ya mean where the XLR plugs into ? If that's the case, the tubes will not reach to the port holes

It appears that they were in the holes at one time judging by the wear on the circumference of one of the sides . . .

4. 335guy

335guy Member

No, the fronts of the port tubes should be flush with the front of the speaker baffle. You can see where they were glued before. A urethane adhesive is good advice. Another one that is good is PL Premium.
    http://www.amazon.com/Henkel-828472...dhesive/dp/B0002YV81Y/ref=dp_cp_ob_hi_title_1

If possible, you could also tap a few brads through the tubes into the front baffle to hold them in place until the adhesive dries.

5. Baminated

Baminated Member

cool, thanks - i have heard that beading is the key. any tips on effective beading ?

6. 335guy

335guy Member

By beading, do you mean with the adhesive? If so, PL Premium comes in a caulk like consistency, so as long as you put enough on ( A good 1/4" bead ) all around the tube, then stick it in place, it will hold and seal the area between the baffle and the side of the tube. You could smear a bit around the front edge as well, but really, the stuff is incredibly strong.

7. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

8. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

Yellow wood glue would work fine as long as nobody messes with them again. They shouldn't have come off, if the torn paper is any indication. Hot glue would work, too. Plus, it cools fast enough that you won't need to wait 24 hours. Use black hot glue.

9. Seektone

Seektone Member

Is that the elx118P you just bought? I'm remembering the other thread.

10. Baminated

Baminated Member

Yes, i got them to refund me $50 - so i got it for $550 ! just gotta glue