Loose Vox Wah Pedal Help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrisg_75, May 19, 2008.

1. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

Hi Guys

I have a vox wah and the pedal is loose. It wont stay in the heal down position. Ie when i take my foot off it it flops back down to the toe down position. Anyone know how i can fix this ?

cheers

2. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

tighten the bolt halfway along the pedal.

3. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

Most wah pedals have a nylon cable strap that's bolted in a position where it puts pressure on the rack gear. Besides keeping the rack gear engaged with the pot gear, it also adds friction to keep the pedal from flopping down. The Vox pedals (wah and volume) use the same technique.

Open up the case and loosen the screw that holds the cable strap in place. The cable strap looks like a loop of white nylon plastic. Push it up against the rack gear with a little pressure and tighten the screw back down.

If the cable strap is worn out then you might need to replace it.

4. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

thanx guys
    I didnt think there was anyway to tighten the bolt at the axis of the pedal swing.

Ill have a look at the nylon strap. I know i have adjusted that at some stage when adjusting the pot travel so ill check it out
    cheers

5. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

There isn't. It's a hinge pin. The head of the pin is on the instrument jack side of the pedal. If you had to, you could drive it out with a punch from the amp jack side. There's a metal strap under the treadle that goes over the pin, keeping it from sliding out. Nothing you do to the pin will increase the friction because the pin doesn't normally move with the treadle. Instead, the treadle pivots on the pin.

That nylon strap is the only way to adjust the friction. Small Bear sells replacements, if you need one. They call it a "tension clutch" for a Crybaby, but it's just a nylon cable strap.

6. K-man

K-man Member

You can tighten the screw that holds that strap on and it will put more pressure on the pin. I've done that and thought it worked better than tightening the plastic thingie. The screw may be under the circuit board.

7. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

The strap is held onto the top of the base casting in two places, in front and behind the hinge pin mounting, and held on with two machine screws, one at either end. The screws are normally pretty tight against the strap, but there may be some extra play to tighten them even further. However, this won't make the treadle any tighter because the pin doesn't move when you move the treadle. The pin stays in place, and the treadle pivots around it.

Look at the head of the pin while you move the treadle and you'll see that the pin isn't rotating. Tightening the strap will hold the pin in place tighter, but it won't make the treadle any stiffer. In fact, if you drive the pin out of the casting you'll see that there are grooves machined into one end of the pin specifically to keep it from turning in the casting. The strap is meant to keep the pin from wobbling around.

When you think about it, this makes sense. Keeping the treadle stiff requires friction, and friction causes wear. The last place you want to intentionally cause wear in a foot pedal is at the hinge.

mk.ufo1988 likes this.
  8. warioblast

warioblast Member

:agree

9. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

There are two nuts inside the pedal.One by the battery the other under the board.You can look under the treadle and see if you have any room to tighten these. Just a small turn of both should fix your problem.
    If not ,the pin that runs through the treadle should be tight and turn with the treadle.The ridges on one end keep it in place with the treadle.If the treadle is moving and the pin is staying in place there are things you can do to fix it. You can drive the pin out and put it back from the opposite side on newer wahs.I believe both holes are the same size..If that does not fix the problem send me a PM.. Good luck, Keith

10. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

Hmmm
    Ok then
    I did check the nylon strap thing ie the tension clutch referred to. It didnt seem worn at all. I re did it and tightened it up pullingit forward as much as possible. It helped a little but still slips down to toe pos. I could maybe slot the hole in it a bit more so it can move forward a little more then put it back in. WOuld this be ok to do ????

as for the other thing......i believe from memory when the treadle moves the pin does not move at all so i am not sure that tightening the strap under the treadle will help that situation.

There are two different opinions in here one saying the pin moves with the treadle and the other opinion saying the pin doesnt move with the treadle.

I will double check this tonight.

Not sure at this stage hah a

11. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Tightening up the rack gear and rack gear support to make the treadle more stiff is not a good idea.You put unnecessary stress on the pot.
    The Treadle is the top of the wah where you put your foot.If the pin free spins in that you have a problem....Maybe someone with more wah repair experience can chime in and help..Good Luck ;)

12. warioblast

warioblast Member

I've had the same problem. And no matter how hard I tightened up the rack gear, the treadle kept going down.
    All I know is that after I had tightened up those 2 screws (see pic below), the treadle stayed perfectly in place at any travel of the sweep.
    [​IMG]
    I've done this to my wah a year ago and since I have never had this kind of problem.

13. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

Sincere apologies to bandofthieves and K-man. You guys are correct.:eek:

This debate forced me to go have a closer look at my Vox wah. The splines do indeed set in the treadle casting and not in the base casting, and the hinge pin does rotate with the treadle (I couldn't tell until I put on better glasses), so tightening the metal strap would increase tension on the treadle.

I've only personally had this problem twice; one with a Vox and once with a Dunlop. On the Vox the nylon cable strap had broken off, and replacing it fixed the problem. On the Dunlop I just tightened the cable strap. I always just presumed the metal strap was meant to keep the pin in place.

14. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

:AOK

15. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

thanx guys
    ill give it a go

cheers

16. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

Just to let you gusy know i managed to tighten the screws to the strap a little and all seems good now

Cheers and thanx for the advice

Now time to try and replace the pot with the ICAR tapered pot. Hope it isnt too hard
    cheers

17. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

what wah is it you have??

18. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

a vox
    not sure which model number though

19. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

does it look like one of these inside?
    [​IMG]