1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We've added some "new" guys to the moderator crew. All are longtime members that stepped up to the invite to help out by volunteering their time and effort to help the membership experience on TGP stay on the even keel. A special thank you to the 'new' guys that helping out. The new moderators are Mike Duncan, Stormin, ford, Teleplayer, and PurpleJesus A thread on the announcement is here!

Dismiss Notice

Loosest/grittiest/least smooth Boss overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by poolshark, Feb 24, 2015.

1. poolshark

poolshark Member

Looking for a Boss something or other to use in a lower gain situation, but I don't want traditional smooth/transparent/amp-like/popular tones. The SD-1 and BD-2 are too smooth/natural, but the lower gain range of the DS-1 has my attention. What else is out there that sounds a little more gritty and interesting?

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

3. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

These are fuzzes... although I guess they can work in that context. I don't have extensive experience with Boss overdrives, but the one that instantly comes to mind regarding what you mention is the classic OD1. I remember it being quite rude, gritty and in-your-face, but definitely from an overdrive's low gain standpoint. If you can't find one or think they are too expensive, you can look for a modern clone (I don't know one).

4. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Supporting Member

5. bobcunningham

bobcunningham Member

Best bet if you've got your heart set on a Boss is the OS-2. Turn the mix knob more toward the OD side, rather than the Distortion side.

6. Belmont

Belmont Member

OS-2 is basically like an OD-1 on the overdrive side, still fairly smooth and not that gritty.
    Only Boss I can think of is the FBM-1 Fender Bassmam pedal.
    I'd be checking out Colorsound Overdrive and Boost clones, they are the king of open, uncompressed, gritty and raw over drives.

7. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

I used to have a Boss DN-2. It got fairly crunchy. Super responsive, too. I'd take one again if I had to only use Boss products.

8. jgyn

jgyn Member

9. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Turbo mode in the Boss OD2 sounds...interesting.

10. thecornman

thecornman Member