Los Lonely Boys: Velvet Sky help

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Tone, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Tone

Tone Member

What's up guys.
    I need some help with the outro solo from Velvet Sky. The part I'm having trouble with begins at 3:59 in the song. It sounds like this triplet strumming thing, with wah. I have the LLB DVD, and for that part Henry is strumming in the regular place, and over the high fret area of the neck. Kind of looks like he's alternating between the two areas to create different strummingg tones. I can't seem to get it right, and I'm not sure If I'm missing something or what. I also hear this done in another song on the album, I think it happens in Senorita, and I seen SRV do this a couple times.

Can anyone help me out and tell me what's going on, and how to pull this off and make it sound smooth like it should?

Thanks!

2. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I don't have the song playing now, but if it's what I think it is...
    Use the fat part of the pick, not the pointy side, and move your strumming hand in a figure 8 slowly at first. Bring it up to speed gradually. The standard back and forth, alternating picking will not work. The figure 8 gives you that blizzard of notes. I hope this helps!

3. Tone

Tone Member

Pedro,
    What you described sounds exactly like what's going on. I'll give it a go, and hopefully get it down. When you have a chance to give the song a listen, please let me know if it was indeed the right part that I described. :)

Thanks!:dude

4. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I listened and it is what I thought. The technique takes two seconds to describe and a whole lot longer to master. And it is best used, IMHO, sparingly.

5. Tone

Tone Member

Pedro,
    Thanks for the help! I'll be working on this a lot, I think. :) Any info on why it makes notes sound the way it does? Almost sounds like some kind of phasing/flanging effect sometimes. :dude

6. Tone

Tone Member

Anyone happen to know the rhythm chords? So far I think it's Bm and Em7. But I'm not totally sure. When I play it seems to work, but I would like to know what you guys think they are.

Thanks!:dude

7. telest

telest Member

Tone, F# - D#min at standard pitch, they tune down a half step so they play it G - Emin.

Steve

8. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

the only effect i hear is the wah that he rocks back and forth on top of each beat. together with the stacatto (sp?) strumming it gives it that phasing sound. it's absolutely just a rhythm thing. keeping a steady beat with the wah and a seperate rhythm with the strumming. seems pretty easy for him doesn't it!!

9. Tone

Tone Member

Yep definately seems easy for him.:)

Can anyone tell me what fingerings are used for the chorus and verse chords? I hear the chords are in the new GuitarONE mag, but it has'nt come out here yet.

Telest, I was using a Em7 at the (tuned down half step so Ebm7) 8th fret and that sounds right, but when I switch to a G at say the 3rd fret, the voicing sounds too low.

Thanks!

10. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

That song is tabbed in the june edition of guitar one!

11. Tone

Tone Member

Yeah I know. What sucks is that for some reason they are'nt sending my subscription, and it's not even expired yet. They keep sending me renewals every week.

I think there's only a couple chords in the whole song though. Can anyone confirm?

12. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

The G chord is a bar"c"chape @the 7th fret, you do know there tuned to eb?(half step low)

from a brief look at the tab; G, gmaj7,
    Bm, Em7, A ,cm,d7,em9.......must be some passing chords!!

Guitar one never told me my subscription had run out. I was getting a recording mag that went belly up and they switched me . Glad it happend that way but I did'nt have a full year left so when they offered me two more years , cheap, I went for it.

(if this is what happend with you, you can't just find you first issue and assume you got a year after that)

Even weeks after then they sent more renewal notices(Typical). any how things are back to normal and the june issue is what you need!!!!!!!!!!!

BE CAREFULL when you renew, I heard there was a scam going around involving there name . maybee just go to their web site to renew.

Hope this helps some,ROCK ON

:dude :dude