Losing control at the nut!

imonabuss

Gold Supporting Member
Recently I have a real issue with flicking the high E-string off of the nut on almost everything I play, especially my Suhrs and a Tyler. But I do it on two Les Paul type guitars also. I have been playing harder and harder, with lots of string snap to get a special tone, but I can't seem to get through two songs before doing this anymore. It's pretty crazy putting the string back on during solos. How badly will adding string trees to the headstock screw up staying in tune, especially with tremolo use on the S type guitars? And have you ever heard of a string tree on a Les Paul? I can't seem to stop, so I have to do something.

Rosewood

I think your style is U-neek enough to have another nut made for your guitars. Tighter slot or deeper or both is what you need. It is a little unusual to see it happen on a Les Paul but if it happens you've gotta change something. I wouldn't start putting string trees on a Les Paul type, maybe a Strat style if you use something slick.

imonabuss

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the advice, Rosewood. I think I will start with seeing if a luthier can put on a taller nut so the grooves can be deeper. I'm very concerned that a string tree would hang up the wound strings when using the tremolo. I hope the local luthier is good enough to do this right. If you know of a really slick smooth working string tree type, though, let me know.

David Collins

A new nut is the way to go. If you pick or pull off too aggressively, you just need higher walls on the nut slots. For a Strat style I would just go with string trees, flat against the wood with no spacer if necessary. I don't often have problems with binding up in the string tree unless it's someone who heavily uses the trem. In those cases I've had good luck with buffing the contact surface to a high polish, and a drop or two of nut lube or Tri-Flow can help as well.

imonabuss

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you David. I'm about to hit the road for a week tour with my band and I am panicking; I'm gonna have to do string trees for the moment, no time to get a nut with higher walls. But I will when I get back.

Thank you David. I'm about to hit the road for a week tour with my band and I am panicking; I'm gonna have to do string trees for the moment, no time to get a nut with higher walls. But I will when I get back.

dont cut!! if your trees are meant to be temporary, the holes wont be...im not even sure the increased break angle on the string will fix the problem

If it were me, the first thing it try is a real strong rubberband with credit card plastic cut nut size to work like a locking nut assembly..sounds hokey but it should help in the short term, or a capo on the nut

j

Trending Topics

Top Bottom