Losing Interest in Custom Order

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by clarkram, Jul 31, 2008.

1. clarkram

clarkram Member

I know some of you guys must fit this profile. Just curious if/when you lose interest in a custom order due to the wait times? Assume you have paid a deposit.

I am at the 18 month mark now (at the time of order I was quoted 12 months) and the guitar is still many months from completion. At this juncture I am finding that my interest in the instrument has dropped almost to the point of I don't care about it anymore.....

So I was wondering, for those that do lose interest in an order, how long before you lose interest?

Now, before you lecture me on the nature of custom builds, I have been through the process twice with Ron Thorn and once with Joe Driskill, so I am familiar with the ups and downs of the process.

So, how long before you lose interest?

2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I've only had one guitar made for me, a McCurdy Kenmare archtop. My interest grew & grew for the 1-1/2 year wait.

Then, when the guitar was ready for lacquer, 9/11 happened. Ric's shop is 4 blocks from WTC, and there was so much dust in the air, he couldn't spray lacquer for another month. This only strengthened my resolve: I couldn't wait!

By the time it was delivered, I was at fever pitch.

At no time did I lose interest.

Sorry.....not what you wanted to hear, I suppose....

3. DamianP

DamianP Member

Maybe a builder with shorter lead times would have been a better choice.

Damian.

4. clarkram

clarkram Member

Not at all, glad you ended up with your guitar. I'm sure there are many that stay focused with anticipation.

5. dwes

dwes Member

All of the guitars guitars, amps and pedals I've ordered were/are late PRS Private Stock, Driskill, Thorn, Goodall, Keeley, blah, blah, blahhhh...

My excitement for each instrument diminsished, if at all, by the length of time past due (several years in one instance) and by the level of trust I had in the builder. If I felt like I was being fed ****, it didn't help. I ended up dropping one of my guitar builds after four years +, no end in sight and a big pile of crap.

I did spec a Grosh that arrived early!:dude Go Don!

Dave

6. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Part of it might have been that I sold off several other really nice (and well played & loved) guitars & amps to finance the McCurdy in the first place.

Had this just been a cash purchase, well.....who knows? I suppose I might have felt differently

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

You're SUCH a tease...!

8. eric-d

eric-d Member

It really depends for me. If it's something like waiting for the KOT or a Toneczar (I know it's not a custom made guitar - but it's the only relevance I have to your situation) - where I didn't have to put down money - the wait time really doesn't bother me that badly. I call them about once a month and see how they're doing and progressing with the items. If IT is paid for - I HATE waiting. It drives me absolutely bonkers. I try to refrain from calling the builder because I don't want to piss them off - but I still check in. If I order (paid in full) a custom or "boutique" Item - I really hate waiting more than 2-3 months.

9. Luke

Luke Senior Member

It is irresponsible of builder's to quote unrealistic wait times. When you enter into a contractual agreement to buy a guitar for X dollars and for it to be delivered by Y date, both sides should be committed to completing the agreement as agreed. For whatever reason, builder's always seem to come up with excuses as to their lateness, but for what ever reason they never feel they should lower the agreed on price due to their inability to close the deal as originally described. The buyer is always just expect to understand "things come up".

10. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

I've been there. I was told a high end guitar from a well known and respected builder was ready to ship. I even had pictures of it from the builder.

8 months later-still no guitar. And I tried to keep the faith, but didn't.

Order cancelled, got another guitar from another builder that really turned me on to his work. So there was a silver lining to my wait.

11. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

If I have to wait that long...I'm not ordering it. Not worth it to me.

12. clarkram

clarkram Member

Yeah, I'm 57 now , still gig, but I figure I only have a few good years left to do this stuff, pissing away a couple of years waiting at my age is more than annoying.

13. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Depends on who the builder is and how much I want their work.

14. diego

diego Member

I hit the wall at eighteen months as well on a project.

15. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

For me it depends on the kind guitar. IMO 6-12 months is acceptable if you only have to make a small deposit (1/4th or 1/3rd of the final price).
    Such a guitar should offer unique features available nowhere else.

For a 50% deposit or a rather standard work (the usual PRS/LP/Strat copy) my limit would be 6 months.

But I would only going custom(or semi custom) if it is clear that the guitar is either my ultimate dream guitar (not just the current fency) or a real good investment.

I am currently waiting for my semi-custom dream guitar and the 5-6 months wait time gives me the chance to save the money needed.

16. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I don't think it's the long wait that is the problem...it's being told a certain wait time, and then it goes way beyond that.

17. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Personally i blame myself. When the build starts I have my "dream guitar" in mind. But GAS being what it is, i think "hmm THIS pickup would be nice" or "bigsby?" or "i really want everything quartersawn" or "body contour?" I bet luthiers hate guys like me. On the other hand the long wait times let me really pin down exactly what i want, and by the end i feel like i was really a part of the process, down to the last screw. much better than putting in an order, and sitting twiddling my thumbs while the idea sours on me. heck, i think of one new thing every week just as an excuse to head over there and say "satin neck, varnish body, whaddya think?" and talk it out. (btw, the bigsby idea got shot down, but we did swap neck pickups from a minibucker to a fullsized low wind PAF type.)

18. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

One other thing.
    Any waiting list should be reasonable.
    UK based Blackmachine guitars for example is a small one man company. They offered six slots for 2009 which were taken in a few weeks. After that they simply closed the books with no further waiting list. If you intend to get one of their guitars you'll have to visit their site on a regular basis. Somewhere in 2009 they'll most likely offer slots for 2010. That should give you plenty of thinking time.

19. XKnight

XKnight Member

I have a very short attention span, so anything that takes more than a week usually results in my loss of interest. Obviously custom builds aren't for me.

20. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Member

18 months? I'd have forgotten about it by then!