Losing money on used pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mark Milliron, May 22, 2019.

1. Mark Milliron

Mark Milliron Supporting Member

I have two pedals for sale on ebay right now. Both were on my board for less than a month, and one was bought new. If I sell them both at the current price I have listed, which is competitive with what's on ebay and Reverb, I will lose over $70.

Have any of you calculated how much money you've lost since you joined the pedal game? Or do you try not to think about it like I do lol.

Edit: This thread was meant to be a lighthearted discussion about the amount of money us pedal addicts spend to get our fix. A few comments sound like I am making a big stink about losing my life savings on pedals. I'm not. I guess it should be expected, this is the internet after all, but damn, sometimes I forget how serious everything is to some people.

Edit 2: I do think that the used pedal market has become more saturated over the past few years, which will inevitably drive down prices. It can suck for sellers, but it's great for buyers!

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

Compare them all to the highest MSRP you can find for each one? That might help you feel better.

Mark Milliron likes this.
  3. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Buy used, lose less. Sometimes gain.

4. moore_for_less

moore_for_less Supporting Member

Home, home again… I like to be here when I can…
    It’s the price of admission, almost like a rental fee for the time you had it in your possession to play with your rig on your time.

5. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales

Never...
    ever...
    Add up your losses:eek:

Just imagine your Wife with kind of leverage:omg

Never do it.:nono

6. Kluch

Kluch Member

completely agree. I always buy used if I can help it. I pretty much know that if I'm buying a pedal new I'm going to lose (likely a great deal of money on it) should I decide to sell it (unless it's a strymon or something along those lines).

7. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

I guess I wonder what do you expect. You are selling a used pedal.

I won’t buy someone’s used pedal unless it at least 40% off the new price. Why would I take the risk when I am not protected by any warranty.

I don’t buy stuff expecting to flip it. I look at like a rental fee for my use.

I also tend to buy most of my stuff used. Or if I do buy it new I do a lot of research and am pretty sure the pedal will be a keeper.

Lt Dak, chandra, guitarwrench and 5 others like this.
  8. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I buy good clean used pedals most of the time. Mostly break even. It's called "renting":)

Sean413, stevenlaumer, EarleG and 6 others like this.
  9. blackba

blackba Member

When I buy a pedal new, I expect to lose 30-50% of its value when selling used. When I buy used, I hope to break even. Really we are very fortunate to get the return on used gear we get, compare most anything digital like computers, tablets, etc and you will see how little they are worth used.

10. Pauly B

Pauly B Member

I always buy used with the understanding that I will lose a little on most flips. I just like to try new things and I consider it a small price to pay to keep pedals moving thru my board. Very rarely will a pedal last more than a year before moving on. I must have tried 100 pedals in the last 3 years. It's kind of a sickness, but fun to me.

11. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I agree ... minimal loses are basically rental fees. :dunno

The trick is to buy used at a good price. I rarely lose more than $10-15 on resale and sometimes gain a buck or two. :aok

monty, Sean413, guitarwrench and 6 others like this.
  12. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Anything I own and use or otherwise enjoy while owning gets chalked up as the cost of ownership for me and I don’t sweat it one bit.

I find the attitude that one needs to recoup 100% of what was spent on an item to be rather odd. You bought it. You used it. You enjoyed it. That costs something. That has a value.

xrcdan, monty, openbar and 23 others like this.
  13. chadmo1

chadmo1 Member

I have bought and sold more pedals than I can remember. I always buy used. I'd say I'm about even, but any losses, I chalk up to experience with a pedal.

14. dedezelic

dedezelic Supporting Member

I never never buy anything music related new.

Sean413 and NB_Terry like this.
  15. SG-Slinger

SG-Slinger Member

This is hands down the best reply in this thread.

Abram4235, awallace, MIM#1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Dana-L

Dana-L Supporting Member

Like lottery games, pedals should be played for entertainment, not investment purposes.

-Dana

NAME, secretsoundz, Abram4235 and 6 others like this.
  17. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

I prefer to trade locally for pedals, there is a daily average of 900 pedals and amps for sale, on the internet.

With a little patience, I don't lose any depreciation. I have horse traded for, amps, guitars and pedals.

YMMV

18. Riffa

Riffa Member

I hardly ever buy new pedals. They're too expensive where I live anyway. And I do a lot of homework before I get anything, so I'm almost always happy about my purchases.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  19. GeorgeNada

GeorgeNada Member

That’s why I only buy rare, waitlist, limited edition, or so new their impossible to get ahold of pedals and then immediately list them on reverb for twice what I paid. Problem solved!!

ItsaRat! likes this.
  20. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

Flipper, is that you?!

[​IMG]

amoodymule, Daytona57, muku and 4 others like this.