Loss of Sparkle/Volume w/amp when using pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kramerxxx, Jun 15, 2008.

1. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

When I plug my guitar straight into the amp, I have more volume, dynamicas and tone than if I plug into a pedal then my amp. I also notice I don't have the same volume taper with my guitar volume unless plugged straight into the amp, with only the last 10% having the most effect.

I have checked the wiring with the schematics on SeymourDuncan.com and everything looks right but it is a noticeable difference between the two.

Help?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Gotta know what pedals you're using.

3. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

My kids just got me a OCD v4 and an MXR Carbon Copy for Father's Day.

But, I also have a Tim, an MXR 10-band EQ and a modded SD-1 and Crybaby that do the same thing. Strangely I have an Ibanez TS-9 that doesn't do this. I'm wondering if I have the cap across the volume pot in the guitar on the wrong two lugs.

4. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

You are just getting some tone loss with all the pedals you are running. The biggest culprit being the wah. There are a few things that you can do:
    • Take out the pedals you don't really need
    • Go for True Bypass or transparent sounding buffered pedals
    • Upgrade to better cables
    • Run your pedals through a looper

5. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

The volume issue is one that I had, but with a volume pedal. It sounded exactly like what you are describing.

The issue? A badly grounded cable, it was partly shorting or something. A new cable fixed it. Are you using solderless cables?

6. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

no, Mogami cable, soldiered Switchcraft ends. It works great with the pedals in the chain. Not sure what this is.

I am trying it with one pedal at a time, not multiples. And if I have any of the pedals on, it sounds great. The Crybaby, SD-1 and TS-9 have buffer circuits, the rest are true bypass. This is what is really driving me crazy.

7. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

I might have to try to looper idea, I was just trying to see if there was something that could account for this with what I already own.