1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lost and old Friend. Curbow.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Red Planet, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Greg Curbow Guitar and Bass builder Extrodinare. Has passed away. :(

Curbow had a long and fruitfull career. At one time he had Teched for Jimmy Page.

He built some of the finest instraments money could buy. He had moved up to Morganton Georgia and set up shop at his Grandmothers old Farm. Where he built many really nice pieces.

In the later years he had brokered a deal with Cort as economics would have it. He had also started a Luthier School and was doing that.

In the last several years he had become ill and had sugery. I visted him afterwords and he seemed fine. I hadnt been by there in a while a didnt know he wasnt doing well. But evidently he passed just recently. I'm trying to get in touch with his long time wife Margerett to find out whats going on and what I can do.

Greg was a good friend of mine and I cant tell you how many times we set up there in the we hours of the night and pondered life. I've not been in touch with him much in the last few years and regrett that.

I will miss him. :(

2. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

I was just at his shop maybe two months ago, talking to him about setting up a music school. Even though he looked like he felt horrible, he was the nicest, coolest guy. Built amazing instruments, too.

:^(

3. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Only 48. Thats way too young. If you don't mind me asking, what did he die from? Seems to me guitar builders have a short lifespan due to a number of factors. Stress, dust, and the chemicals being a few of the culprits.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Yeah he is a cool guy. I wish I'd spent more time with him in the last few years.

I talked to his Wife Margret. She gave me the low down. There is a memorial Service for him in Blueridge Ga. Friday afternoon.

Wrather than sending flowers they are taking donations to the Curbow Luthier School. They are gonna keep the school going in honor of Greg. He has some good guys up there working for him and they are gonna stick around and make it work.

There is also gonna be a Hangout / Acoustic Jam at his house after the Memorial. I'll be there. If anyone here knows him and wants to tag along with me.

Greg Curbow is a fine instrament maker and I'm shure he is making them in Heaven now.

I'll be looking for you when I get there Greg.

Yor friend Greg Beasley.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

He had had a Brain Tumor and had it removed but it came back. He had another Surgery in June and they couldnt get it all. It kept growing and he went down hill from there.

He had told me he thought maybe the paint fumes may have had something to do with it. He had stopped painting guiars a few years ago and was sending that out. It may have caused it though.

6. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Thats a tought one. Not only are the fumes dangerous, but so is the skin exposure.

My condolences to his friends and family.

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Does anyone here have or have any links to Pics of some of his instruments? I'd like to see one.............

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

www.curbow.com

There are a couple builders who are gonna stick around and keep producing Curbows.

The luthier school is gonna remain open also.

They are taking donations for the School if anyone is interested. I' gonna write em a check.

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

10. hemlock

hemlock Guest

A real shame. I hadn't seen Greg in several years, but in the limited dealings I had with him he was a really nice guy and a very fine luthier.