lost in recording... need advice

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by buzzp, Feb 21, 2012.

1. buzzp

buzzp Member

So I started an EP with my band. 2 strong singles (possible singles anyway) that are funky/ rocking. 1 song that I want to save for a later album or short EP which is definitely in the vein of 70s rock. and 1 that I am going to scratch.

The band broke up because I HAD it with the lead singer. He halfassed it in the studio. I'm actually going to go to the studio Friday and re-do vocals for the 2 songs. (I wrote all the music by the way)

Now the bass player def wants to keep writing with me and the drummer is probably going to follow, BUT do I add a few more strong songs to make the EP complete? Or do I continue on with an album? I feel as though I could have a VERY VERY strong 9-10 song album when all is said and done. But an EP is more efficient money wise and will help get our name out there.

Any suggestions from similar experience? feel free to email me at b.seanp@gmail.com as well.

2. jmczaja

jmczaja Member

Go for the EP.. A full album is quite a project to do right!

3. buzzp

buzzp Member

I'm thinking a 5-6 song EP. I have 3-4 songs that would actually fit VERY well with these songs. like. very well

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

Unless you're trying to get airplay or do real promotion, you don't need a physical release at all.

I'd just finish the 2 songs, put 'em up on Facebook, etc. and let the public decide how strong they are. If they are, you'll find out in a hurry...

One question - did you write the lyrics/melody, too? If not, you've got to cut the old singer in, or whoever did.

5. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

EP is always a good way to start.

3-4 song should be good enough - but are you guys playing out? Do you need physical copies? Or will digital distribution be enough?

I agree with loudboy - release 1 or 2 of the strongest songs on FB and let the public decide.

6. buzzp

buzzp Member

I wrote the lyrics and melody completely to one of the tunes. Also the melody and about 70% of the lyrics to the other one. I'm going to give him credit for helping write the chorus lyrics cause I'm changing the verses up

7. geetarplayer

geetarplayer Member

Ya, if you want 10 good songs, you need to write 15 or 20 and pick from that. Go with your best 2 and see what happens.

8. buzzp

buzzp Member

I definitely agree with this. I have 15+ songs that are very hard for me to pick and choose from.

EDIT** - I know the 2 we're moving forward with are strong as people that have heard some of the mixes said they really liked them.

9. jmczaja

jmczaja Member

Putting songs on facebook is fine.. Getting people to listen to them on facebook is another story, no matter how good the songs are. Concentrate on promoting the songs and getting them heard from other people besides facebook friends.

10. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Incremental realeases seems to be the way to go. Nobody is waiting for you to put out an albumn so you might as well get a couple songs done and get them up on FB, Bandcamp, revebnation etc..

You can get your sounds out there and work on more new stuff as it comes up.

Scott