Lost My Best Friend

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by vashondan, Jul 10, 2019.

1. vashondan

vashondan Supporting Member

Monday morning early my dog goes out to poop comes back in excited goes to jump up on the window sill to look outside and falls backwards to the ground. A couple of groans and he was gone. I live alone and he and i spent tons of time together. Always there when I'm practicing. Runs 4 times a week on and on....I just miss him so. I've never had a dog die suddenly and not be able to say goodbye. Probably best for him but you know sudden was very hard for me. The grieving is killing me so I'm spreading it around.

Hoping many of you can related. I know I have to go through the whole grief thing but right now my world feels very alone and empty.

Thats all thanks for reading

dude9478, jpervin, BK Verbs and 83 others like this.
  2. mikebat

mikebat Member

Brother, sorry. I have been there. When my Maggie Mae stood all hunched over in the driveway, I thought she was fine on our morning walk, and ate all her food in the morning. Then...she just had that look in her eye. We sat around crying for days in the silence, it was a lot to bear.

A friend of ours told us, "no matter how guilty it will make you feel, go get another dog. He won't replace your passed dog, but it will force you into another track of thinking and feeling." We did it. We felt guilty. We are happy we did it. Think about it. We still talk about our Maggie every day, look at her pictures and laugh at her funny habits. Just remember the good stuff.

An insensitive question so feel free to ignore, considering the sudden nature of your dog's passing, was it related to the recent FDA warning about grain free diets and heart issues?

My condolences. Hopefully your dog stumbles upon my Maggie and they go for a playful run over that Rainbow Bridge.

3. oxtone

oxtone Member

I am so sorry for your Dog's sudden passing. It's hard to lose a beloved pet companion. Allow yourself to grieve naturally. Hope you
    can someday find another good Dog to be pals with. Hang in there.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  4. Quartermass

Quartermass Member

My condolences, friend. I have said goodbye to many pets. It never gets easier. They are family members. Some you hold when they pass....and some are taken from you when you are not there to say farewell. Never forget your friend.....but please consider (when the time is right) adopting a new four-legged family member. So many dogs (and cats) need a caring person like you. He (or she) will help you find your way again...I promise. Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  5. WornFrets

WornFrets Supporting Member

I am so sorry.

vashondan likes this.
  6. RLD

RLD Member

Sorry to hear about your buddy.
    I've lost 3 over the last 20 years...seems like you'll never get over it, but it gets easier.
    I agree about getting a new pal as soon as possible...it helps both you and him.

Mngwa likes this.
  7. vashondan

Thank you! So so hard. No, nothing to do with the FDA that I'm aware of. He was born with a heart murmur maybe that had something to do with it. He was a beautiful sweet Rottie. They don't live much longer than 10 but he was a little one so I hope for more. Next week he would have been 10. I'll get another. I have gotten my last 4 from my ex who breeds and shows them. She'll get me another when she senses I'm ready. She knows me well enough. I'm grieving too much right now anyway.

8. vashondan

Thank you very much!

9. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

I feel for you - hang in there.

10. vashondan

No, I still shed a tear when I look at the pictures of dogs I had 10-15 years ago. Each carves out a piece of our hearts.

gght, Peppy, Mngwa and 5 others like this.
  11. vashondan

Man, I'm trying but it's been a very hard 3 days. Thank you for your caring!

gght likes this.
  12. lhallam

lhallam Member

Pets are family and dogs are the best.

Nice that your ex understands.

Hope you feel better soon.

derekd likes this.
  13. vashondan

Thank you. I'll find another. I think though that with this one I'm going to have the hardest time grieving. But there's only one way through it.

derekd likes this.
  14. vashondan

Yes for sure he was my family at this point in my life and dogs are absolutely the best. Yeah, my ex and I get along much better about dogs and since we got divorced. All of the dogs that I've had since living in Seattle have been from her.

lhallam likes this.
  15. mikebat

mikebat Member

When you are up to it, post a picture of your Rott. They are beautiful from puppy to old dog. I have had many in my immediate family, and they are always so great.

My boy Rocco is a Malinois/Bernese mix.

Peppy and Vaibhav Joshi like this.
  16. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I knew from the title it would be a dog. Tough one no doubt! I'd highly recommend getting another. This should probably be in the Pub section not the Sound

17. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Sorry for your loss.
    <————— Mr Moose sends condolences.

18. KHAN

KHAN Member

Sorry for your loss.

19. england

england Member

So sorry to hear about your loss. We lost our Jack Russell of 18 years 6 months ago. The wife was doing pretty good but I could only go about 2 weeks and then got a new Jack Russell puppy. I had forgotten what's involved in raising a pup :eek: but certainly helped me through the loss.

flantrax likes this.
  20. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

I'm sorry Man - At least he passed at home and not being drug into a vet.
    Hang in there.

grill likes this.