Lost volume in channel 1 of my Mesa Boogie express 5:50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by G-delay, Feb 19, 2012.

1. G-delay

G-delay Member

I noticed a lose of volume in my clean channel and it doesn't seem as clean. Could this be a blown tube (or am I going deaf)? I can turn it all the way up - which I was never able to even come close to doing before. The volume also appears to come and go but for the most part go.

The amp also sounds a little farty with my pedals (is that the right term - I don't know) instead of the nice breakup I was used to. I've been using a bunch of different guitars and pedals lately and don't know if that has caused it or hauling it around in my truck may have hurt something. Or maybe I've been playing so much different stuff I forgot what it sounds like?

Thanks,

2. SteveO

SteveO Member

Check the preamp tubes, as this is likely to be the culprit. The owner's manual has a tube layout chart in the back that details which tubes perform which functions.

3. G-delay

G-delay Member

Thanks

4. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

See if the channel volume may be tied to the level of the treble control. Just a hunch, I once saw a 5:50 with this problem. It's definitely not normal and should be fixed.

5. G-delay

G-delay Member

I'm thinking it is a tube problem. I remember hearing a lot of squeling on the burn channel last session but it went away. Any one know where I can get mesa boogie tubes or biased tubes in the bay area. Do they have a store front at their headquarters in Peteluma?

6. jfwund

jfwund Member

Eurotubes sells a matched set of JJs for the 5:50 if you're OK ordering online. That's what I did...

7. G-delay

G-delay Member

Picked up some mesa boogie tubes across the Bay at Gelb Music. They had the online prices too. I will replace the power tubes and then do a one by one check of the Pre-amp tubes.

Gelb was a nice store with a surprisingly good selection of nice Gibson, Anderson, L&L and PRS (Fender selection wasn't as good but still decent). Nice amp and pedal selections too. I'll have to go back.