Lot of microphonic ?noise after changing tele bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 6Tones, Feb 29, 2012.

1. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

I swapped out the 3 barrel stock brass bridge for a Gotoh 6saddle
    http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-Standard-Tele-Bridge-Chrome-P599C708.aspx

Now Im hearing the pickups 'pickup' every sound on the guitar body .
    If I tap the control plate with my finger I can hear it through the amp or if I turn the volume knob to '10' I hear a "clunk" as well as getting high end pickup squeal at louder volumes..
    etc...
    I never had this problem before I swapped bridges..
    ?:dunno

2. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Tele bridge pickups are VERY sensitive to the bridge plate they're mounted in. The plate needs to be FLAT, and sit on the body FLAT, otherwise it will oscillate. Pull the bridge back off, and sand it on a verifiably flat surface. Some folks add screws through the corners closest to the neck, some drip melted wax on the body, then mount the bridge. Some use silicone adhesive. It's a known issue. Good luck.

3. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Good info thanks! I had no idea . Visually the plate looks flat but Ill pull if off and check.
    Ill try some wax or silicone and see if that does the trick too.
    So you put a few small dabs or liberally under the bridge?

4. SlideGeetar

SlideGeetar Supporting Member

You using rubber hose for your pickup mount screws? (height adjustment) Or springs? You can try the rubber hose to help dampen. Just a thought. But yes I had the same problem years ago. Can't remember what I did to fix it though, and that Tele is long gone.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

That thick brass slab of a 6-saddle should be less microphonic, not more, and shouldn't need waxing, sanding, or whatever.

Do make sure the front edge is not sprung up off the body, but the way to do that is just to bend it down a tiny bit when it's off so the screws clamp it flat.

Are you using springs or tubing to mount the pickup? Either way, if they're loose, the pickup will be free to vibrate in its mounting.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  6. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Thanks guys! I changes the mouning spring to rubber hose and that cured the problem.

7. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

I thought the rubberpickup bushings helped( they did a bit ) but Im still having a microphonic bridge :(
    The bridge plate seems flush with the body.
    Visually it seems to lift a bit near the front but I cant get a fingernail or piece of paper under it.
    Take some putty or glue and put some under the bridge?
    Recommend any type ?

8. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

If you put something under the bridge you are kind of defeating the purpose of changing to brass.
    I am wondering if where the ground wire us under the bridge some of the insulation may be holding that part of the bridge up off the body some. Also make sure it is making contact and that all of your wiring is identical to how it was before you started.
    Also make sure all of your height adjustment screws are hard against the plate. Make sure you don't have a saddle with one screw barely touching the plate.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

also try holding various parts of the bridge and the pickup to see if the squeal changes or recedes.

10. cob666

cob666 Member

+1 - if the squeal is caused by the bridge plate vibrating this should help you isolate what part of the bridge isn't touching the body.