Lots of clips . . .

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by MrMunky, Jul 29, 2005.

1. aquadog

aquadog Member

I thought the clips sounded really good, but I hope you don't mind me making a couple criticisms.

On some of clips, like the crest audio fuzz, I'd like to be able to hear a wider range of lead tones- all the leads sounded like you left it at the same setting.

My only other issue was that some of the tracks had a rhythm guitar that was just too big or out front, and it made it hard to hear the pedals lead tone.

Other than that, good job.

2. mustangman

mustangman Member

one question about the keeley comp. is it noisey? * like on high sustain levals.

thanks in advance.

3. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Those were great. Some good stuff in there.

Tell me about the ADA Flanger... was that an old-old one? With the plug-in wallwart (first models), or power cable built in?

How noisy was it?

Thanks.

4. jockman

jockman Member

What a great site, many thanks for sharing your clips, the Keeley was stunning.
    Boss stuff just sounded to 'digital' to me.

Jon

5. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

It's difficult to hear the effect of the effect because of all the other effects, most notably delay, on all the clips. I'm not knocking the playing. If the purpose of the clips is to demonstrate the stompbox effect, it would be nice to hear them alone. A voice introduction describing the model of guitar, amp, and pedal settings is always nice.

6. mustangman

mustangman Member

i tired the keeley comp. today and it sounds nothing like your clip.
    are you using reverb with the comp?

7. MrMunky

MrMunky Member

Thanks guys.

I really haven't been trying to showcase particular effects so much as to record the tones that I personally like in contexts that I personally appreciate.

I don't usually take the time to just record dry sound samples of pedals simply because its a pretty boring task and I generally don't have too much time. I definitely appreciate the contributions of people who do that, however.

As for the Keeley Comp, I recorded that into a tonelab, and I pretty much always have delay and reverb set up on the tonelab. The keeley comp is on a few other tunes too - ParaComp.mp3; WhtXmas.mp3; etc. I pretty much just used it with the sustain as high as it would go all the time.

As for noise, the Keeley amplifies hiss that I assume is already in the signal somewhere. It seems to do that a bit more than the ross side of the Analogman CompRossor that I have, but it also seems to provide more compression than the analogman. I don't think the Keeley makes more noise than would be normal for a compressor like that. If you take a listen to http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/KComp.mp3 - the hiss that you hear in the very beginning as compared with the clean signal is pretty much what you get with the keeley comp maxed out.

8. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Hey Munkey... Any info you can give me? Thanks.

9. MrMunky

MrMunky Member

The ADA I have is a reissue with the built-in power supply. I love the sound of it, and its very quiet. It has a built in noise gate that doesn't operate on the entire signal, but rather cuts off the effect at a given, adjustable point - it's great because there is no background flanging or flanging of the hum and noise in your signal.