Lots of innovative strat inspired models these days.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sidk47, Feb 2, 2016.

1. sidk47

sidk47 Member

I have saved up 1500$ and want to blow it on a strat or les paul type guitar. I see that the 1500$ market is full of great deals and lots of innovative strat type guitars exist like:

1. Musicman cutlass
    2. Musicman stingray
    3. John Page ashburn classic
    4. Ibanez prestige talman

And there may be others which I don't know of. Which do you think is best for blues rock country jazz metal? What are the merits and demerits of each guitar listed above? Currently I am favoring the stingray.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I'd be interested in a list of the innovative features on these.

Mpcoluv and Scott Naylor like this.
  3. John C

John C Supporting Member

I wouldn't call them "innovative", but I would call them interesting, and also say that it's always good to expand what is available in that $1,000 to $1,500 price range. My take on those 4:

1. EBMM Cutlass - interesting in that they have taken their Silent Circuit (which only worked in positions 1-3-5 on SSS EBMMs, and only for position 5 on the HSS Silhouette Special) and applied it across all settings, and built in a unity gain circuit. Nothing particularly new, but nice that this is available in a $1,500 guitar instead of a $2,500 guitar.

2. EBMM StingRay - not seeing much there; they took an old Leo model that had over-the-top active electronics (Leo - what were you really thinking in 1975/76?) and stripped it down to a bare-bones HH Strat.

3. John Page Ashburn Classic - nice shape - just stratty enough. Reverse pickup - the way Page likes the tone, and it's Hendrix-y.

4. Ibanez Talman series - at least it's not another Strat or Tele shape, just Strat or Tele electronics. The only one of the 4 that I've played, and they are very well done.

There is very little that is truly new under the sun, but all of these guitars are garnering good reviews and are going to be solid players against the typical American Standard and American Special Fenders.

4. custom53

custom53 Member

EBMM Silhouette too..

5. Deven Patel

Deven Patel Member

the john page classic uses thread screws to bolt the neck which is a very nice feature.

6. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Explore the Magneto Sonnet?

7. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Doesn't the John Page Strat have a 12in. Radius? That's pretty cool on a Strat.

8. sidk47

sidk47 Member

I forgot to mention the ESP SN-1000W comes pre-loaded with Fluence pickups.

9. Defendant

Defendant Member

Don't forget the Reverend Gil Parris and Six Gun. Excellent choices.

10. sidk47

sidk47 Member

Hi guys, the music man models previously mentioned have something called a compensated nut. Can I know what that is and what it does?

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Not one thing that is new on these in that list.
    But at least they have personality.

12. Defendant

Defendant Member

A compensated nut is a nut that has each slot for each string in a different position, much like the saddles on your bridge. The idea is that the guitar will intonate better, especially in the lower end of the neck. There are a few different approaches to this. Generally they help a bit.

13. sidk47

sidk47 Member

So will I need a special tuner for guitars with compensated nuts?

14. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Nope. It is just supposed to help make it intonate a little more precisely. It tunes normally.

15. sidk47

sidk47 Member

Ok Johnny thanks. I still can't make up my mind, I wish I could buy all the guitars mentioned above, but I have only enough money for one.