Lotto question

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hellbender, Feb 12, 2015.

1. hellbender

hellbender Member

If you buy three lotto tickets with identical number picks, do you get 3 additional shares of any potential jack pot?

2. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

3. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Each ticket gets an equal share. If there were four winners, you would three quarters of the pot.

4. R.S.Fraser Sr.

R.S.Fraser Sr. Member

how would that differ from three different people buying tickets with identical number sets?
    In that case, they get equal shares, in a typical lotto
    doesn't matter who buys

5. hellbender

hellbender Member

Which begs the idea.... In cases of such huge jackpots, why would it not be standard practice to buy multiple identical tickets of the numbers you play frequently. I've never heard of it happening where a winner reduces the size of the jackpot from other winners by presenting multiple tickets that only cost a buck extra. Seems like a no brainier.

6. Brazen

Brazen Member

This. If you hit on fewer numbers you'll get 3x the amount with your three tickets.

7. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Because you reduce your odds (already absurdly small) of winning anything. When buying multiple tickets, most people (I think) are trying to increase their odds. And better a half or third of $500 million dollars than none of it.

Speaking as someone who has never bought a lottery ticket.

Peace,

8. hellbender

hellbender Member

I understand that. By the same token I think lots of people play favorite numbers only as opposed to the shotgun technique. Why would you not spend an extra buck if little susi's birthday hit? If splitting a 100 mill pot, instead of 50 mill get an extra 25 mill for a buck if you believe in those numbers so much.

Ok I'm done.