Loud Buzzing Issue with Amp

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by funkywrench, Mar 17, 2008.

1. funkywrench

funkywrench Member

I recently replaced a speaker for the first time in my Laney VC-50 2x12 combo. Not that it's important but, I replaced the 2 12" stock speakers (16 ohms each) with a single Hellatone 30 (8 ohms). To avoid de-soldering the original speakers I also connected the Hellatone with a new 1/4" jack to clip lead.

Now when I turn on my amp I get a loud buzzing sound and little or no audible sound coming through the speaker. I have tried reversing the positive and negative terminals, and changing the output tubes with no luck. Now I am concerned that I have damaged something inside the chassis when I removed it. Can anyone suggest any other items I could check that could cause this?

I am happy to take it to a tech if need be but they're expensive around here (and I'm broke) so I don't want to do so if its something simple.

2. funkywrench

funkywrench Member

Yep, the amp has a 8 ohm/16 ohm selector on the back of it too.

Replacing the speaker took sooo long because its so fidgety to get to so I'd like to avoid that right away if possible, but I do concede that it may be the best thing to do!

3. funkywrench

funkywrench Member

I have posted the same thread over at the HC forums and I've had no replies there and just the one here.

Is there a better (or more appropriate I should say) forum out there that I could post something like this on? I'd like to get an idea of how I can check a few things to try and narrow the problem down to an area.

4. nella

nella Member

I think you need to see if the other speakers still work. Don't worry about installing them in the cabinet, just plug them back in to your amp and see if you get sound. If you do then there is a problem with your new speaker wiring.

Perhaps if you took some pictures of what you have done and how you wired the new speakers it would help people help you.

Scott

5. funkywrench

funkywrench Member

Ok, I've had a bit of time this weekend to look at the amp and I think I have maybe found the problem!

I tried the original speakers to no avail, but I then took the chassis off and I've discovered that one of the wires has broken off the solder point on the blue LCR capacitor. Obviously I will re-solder this but could this be what is causing the problem?

Unfortunately I'm confident enough soldering guitar pickups since I can't do too much damage there but I might wait for an electrician-friend of mine to get back from his holiday to tackle this as I really don't want to damage anything!