Loud frets?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Waterhouse, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Waterhouse

Waterhouse Member

Has anyone encountered anything like this: the Korean PRS I just purchased seems to suffer from a few very loud, bloomy frets in various places on the neck, but most notably G# (in two different octaves!) on the B and high E string.

The volume difference is so big as to be unmistakeable whether on single note runs or in chords. When a G# is struck, the rest of the guitar just sounds weak by comparison.

There are a couple of other notes that seem to be overemphasized as well, but to a much lesser degree.

I've owned several other guitars and have never run into this problem, particularly from PRS. The guitar, by all other accounts is clean and well-made with the possible exception of its wavy fretboard grain. Does anyone know what might be causing this psychotic note bloom?

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Sounds like a resonance problem to me which can be hard to tame. The guitars I've run into with a resonance problem usually has a note or two that is weak or dead. I would start by doing a good setup including the tightness of truss rod and a different set of strings.

3. Waterhouse

Waterhouse Member

Resonance was what I thought as well, but this seems to be the opposite of just one or two dead notes on an otherwise toneful neck.

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

How does the neck relief look as far as setup goes? Take a weight of say half pound or so and hang it on the tuners with a string and see if it changes the note up or down, softer or louder.

5. Waterhouse

Waterhouse Member

Relief looks pretty good to me now, but I'm no expert. I was getting some fret buzz a few days ago -- the guitar was bought new online about a week ago and shipped a few states over (from a respectable dealer) -- but it seems to have settled down from the temperature and humidity change nicely. Well, as far as buzz goes, anyway.

It's a stoptail with one of those factory-precise plastic nuts.

I'll try the weight and see how it looks/plays.