1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Loud, high-pitched buzz from my Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jpervin, Feb 2, 2006.

1. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I've got a David Allen-built Bassman combo amp that I've had for about a year. Up until now I've had no problems. The other night, after connecting a guitar into it, I plug the amp in and hit the power switch to let it warm up for a few minutes. When I hit the standby switch I immediately got a loud high-pitched buzz (which turned into a squeal). I turned the standby off right away and it stopped. Checking the power and rectifier tubes, I found them to be glowing normally, though I didn't take the shields off of the preamp tubes to check them. I also checked to make sure that all the tubes were seated properly.
    Tried it one more time and got the same loud buzz/squeal.
    I emailed David for some advice. He said it could be a bad phase inverter tube (last tube before the power tubes).

Anybody here have something similar happen to a tube amp?

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I had a similar problem with a Carvin Bel-Air - but I doubt it would help you out, as my problem was caused by two of the EL84's melting through the PCB :)

Swap out your preamp tubes and see what happens. If you've been using it for about a year, using it regularly, it could simply be ready for new tubes.

--chiba

3. jpervin

Ouch!! :(

I'll try that. Thanks, Chiba!

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Had this happen when one power tube melted down. Blew out a couple of resistors in the process which in retrospect helped me nail down the culprit very quickly.

5. jpervin

Well, I pulled the preamp tubes and had a look at them. The Chinese 12AT7 in V2 (?) has a blue-ish, cloudy film around the inside, on the 9-pin end. That doesn't look normal. The other preamp tubes (3-JJ 12AX7s) looked fine, though that probably doesn't mean anything.

I need to order some spare tubes today.