Louis CK quit the Internet : interesting Conan interview.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Stratonator, May 6, 2016.

1. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Normally, I don't care what celebrities do but in this case, I thought it was interesting and heartfelt.

He explains in detail why he did it (for his kids, mostly). I use my phone at work but don't tend to access Internet on my phone once I'm home. If somebody is talking to me, I don't give my phone any attention regardless of any buzzing or alerts go off.

2. spunky

spunky Member

Pretty common sense stuff. If you are constantly interrupting your interaction time with your children to check your device....you are doing it wrong. What's wrong with setting aside a time or two or three during the day to check your messages, catch up on news, or whatever...and focus on the quality parent/child time children very much need? I don't think there's a need to go as extreme as Louis....but I guess he believed that he couldn't control himself.

3. cram

cram Member

have to agree on the common sense stuff, but so many people are seemingly-obligated by their phone.

derekd and wrong_note_rod like this.
  4. Wibcs39

Wibcs39 Member

I struggle with overuse of my phone...I check it way too often and need to do a better job of moderating my use. I am a big fan of Louis and also Marc Maron who has talked about having to cut down his Twitter use. Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) actually discussed in an interview with Maron how he uses NO social media at all and how he has gotten some backlash from studios because he won't create accounts just to promote projects.

Definitely an interesting thing to think about, especially as many of us are musicians who rely heavily on social media for promotion.

ford likes this.
  5. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

That's pretty much it. Most people don't have ANY willpower for that sort of stuff.

2 people are talking (it doesn't matter who). Person 1 gets an alert on their phone and checks in regardless of the fact they're engaged in a conversation.

Let's face it. 99.9% of the time, whatever alert/text/phone call that comes in is wholly unimportant and can be addressed later. But society being what it is, we're constantly conditioned to deal with everything right this second! The conversation is more important and in the moment so the phone can stay in the pocket until you're done or have some time apart.

Good on Louis for recognizing the problem and doing something about it. Most people wouldn't go that route.

6. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of LCK, but isn't he a bit late to the "Put Down Your Phone" party? It's been raging for years.

burner likes this.
  7. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

he was probably being bombarded considering his celebrity ... me not so much.. more work stuff.. which unfortunately.. I have to have to keep my job

8. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

That's interesting seeing as he has an internet show called 'Horace and Pete'.

9. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

Apparently, sense isn't as common as one would think.

10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

One thing I did was kill all the notifications, so I don't get the irritating ping when a message comes in.

I try to keep the attitude it is there for my convenience, not for the convenience of others. I check messages a handful of times per day, and that's it.

Darkburst likes this.
  11. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

But even though the Internet is the delivery mechanism, it doesn't negate the valid points he brought up in this interview.

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Personally, I think it's much more deep-rooted in politeness. Generally-speaking, I find most people are or are slowly becoming out of touch with the simple fundamental concepts of personal politeness.

12. mannish

mannish Member

put down the guitar, get off TGP and spend more time with your loved ones

I think TV is just as bad as phones/internet people automatically go home & turn on the TV

13. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I agree that TV compulsion is bad, but I'm less convinced it is "as bad" or "bad in the same way,." Internet and smart phone based technologies are more interactive and seem to be more immersive than television, which is consumed passively.

14. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I think a lot of people's problems (mine included) are caused or made worse by overestimating their ability to control themselves. I view will power as a finite resource - we only have so much brain power to go around, and the more of it we use to tune out distractions, the less we have available for other things. I find that removing distractions from my life frees up a lot of resources, which makes it easier for me to concentrate on what really seems valuable to me.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    spunky and A-Bone like this.
  15. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

during the day I keep my phone on airplane mode. I get zero alerts and the battery lasts literally 3 days between charges.
    and its a galaxy s3! the one with the notoriously crappy battery.
    actually Thats the reason I started doing it, but I found the phone waits on me now,
    not the other way around.

spunky and Stratonator like this.
  16. johnkoz

johnkoz Supporting Member

we should have 'stopped' at fax machines...

but everyone's in a big fawkin hurry to get to the next red light

Stratonator likes this.
  17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

The thing I don't get...it's boring. I like certain things, like TGP, some political web sites (though those are wearing thin now) and a few text messages once in a while.

Up at our cabin, my wife, her mother, her sister all are like in constant contact with the rest of the family, but I honestly don't get it.

It kind of amazes me that we put up with the terrible sound quality of the actual phone connections. It's way worse than the old land lines.

I have started flying instructions, so also have had good use of pilot forums, and Google for technical things. But generally, even I had been on the net too much. It's often a waste of time.