Louis Electric Columbia vs Deltone

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
The stock Jupiter, once broken in, is the perfect speaker for this amp IMO. Lou nailed it with this combo. Why mess with perfection?

Totally agree. There is something about the cabinet/speaker combination that just sounds "right". I have played many with other speakers and some sound a bit sweeter, some a bitpuncher, but the stock configuration is the perfect combination of the two. At least for me!

silver surfer

The stock Jupiter, once broken in, is the perfect speaker for this amp IMO. Lou nailed it with this combo. Why mess with perfection?
I actually just sat down after comparing the Jupiter in my new Columbia with an Eminence GA-SC64 that I used to have in my 66 DR. I am all over the amp section praising the GA speakers for the last few years as the perfect speaker for a blackface amp. This is hard for me to say, but the Jupiter easily sounded better than the GA speaker in every possible way (bass, mid, treble, balance, etc.). This Columbia Reverb with the Jupiter speaker is definitely, as you say, perfection. I have the Jupiter 12LC by the way.

joebloggs13

I actually just sat down after comparing the Jupiter in my new Columbia with an Eminence GA-SC64 that I used to have in my 66 DR. I am all over the amp section praising the GA speakers for the last few years as the perfect speaker for a blackface amp. This is hard for me to say, but the Jupiter easily sounded better than the GA speaker in every possible way (bass, mid, treble, balance, etc.). This Columbia Reverb with the Jupiter speaker is definitely, as you say, perfection. I have the Jupiter 12LC by the way.
Lou definitely knows his stuff. :beer

silver surfer

I just remembered a conversation I had with Lou about a year ago when I was first interested in either a Columbia or Deltone. From our conversation Lou suggested the Columbia for me. I told him how much I liked the GA-SC64 speaker and asked him for a price on the amp without the Jupiter speaker. He told me he would not sell the Columbia without the Jupiter.

Tag

Same one I have.
:banana

bluejaybill

Silver Supporting Member
Same one I have.
:banana
Pretty sure that the Jupiter is a variant of the Warehouse G12C, and I believe Fat Jimmy's is as well, some minor tweaking between them but not sure what is different.

I have the Fat Jimmy, it's a very good sounding American voiced speaker. FJ Used to use the Jupiter, I guess he did a bit of further tweaking for his.

EDIT I would love to hear the Columbia, I'll bet it's very similar to my Fat Jimmy Gigmaster 20. I use it primarily for jazz cleans. Is this your L5 amp Tag?

TeleDawg

I love the Cowtippers. I owned many. I sold my last Cow 22 when I got my Deltone. We also had a brand new Cowtipper 35 with all NOS tubes at Lous and A/Bd them with Deltone. I prefer the Deltone, and I have owned 3 Cowtipper 35s. Lous words on the two...."I prefer the Deltone obviously because I build them to sound exactly how I want. Tony would prefer the Cowtipper because he builds them to sound exactly how he wants them too."

Tony and Lou are friends, and both build as good an amp as you will find....by anyone, at any price. Don't be fooled into thinking the Cowtipper must be better because it costs a lot more. It's Lous amps that are absolute BARGAINS. Play both and let your ears decide. You can't go wrong with either.
:beer
I totally agree. What I noticed when I first plugged into my CT-22 and CT-35 was the thing that I noticed many, many years prior: my parents had a little portable RCA Victor “record player.” I assumed that I heard everything I thought I should hear. Then my dad bought a moderate to high-end “Hi-Fi Stereo” set up. When I played my records on the stereo, I heard all of this amazing additional music. Instruments I didn’t hear on the RCA record player. That was what I felt in a Deja vu experience when I got my Bruno’s. It was like “hi-Fidelty” amplification. Note separation, clarity, and bloom beyond anything I had heard before. I really regret selling my Deltone and Vibro Tone. I know a guy that can’t seem to sell his - not many people know of Lou. When I have extra $ I will buy his pair of amps. See ya.

Reactions: Tag

Tag

Pretty sure that the Jupiter is a variant of the Warehouse G12C, and I believe Fat Jimmy's is as well, some minor tweaking between them but not sure what is different.

I have the Fat Jimmy, it's a very good sounding American voiced speaker. FJ Used to use the Jupiter, I guess he did a bit of further tweaking for his.

EDIT I would love to hear the Columbia, I'll bet it's very similar to my Fat Jimmy Gigmaster 20. I use it primarily for jazz cleans. Is this your L5 amp Tag?

Hey Bill!

I'm using it for everything although for straight jazz and my Citation the Deltone is probably a bit better because it's cleaner and feeds back slightly less because of that. The Columbia sounds killer with an archtop though as long as you don't need big volume.

Ercek

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting. That's what I was told back in the first week of December when I ordered a Columbia. I guess we will see.

Last edited:

Groberts

Gold Supporting Member

I just ordered a Fat Jimmy C1270 and will compare it to the Jupiter 12LC in my Columbia. I also wanted to try the Fat Jimmy with my Fender 64 Deluxe Reverb Custom Hand-wired. So this will be interesting. I always thought the Jupiter 12LC was a great match with the Columbia. I also had one in a Fender Knotty Pine Limited Ed 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue. It was great with that amp too. So this Fat Jimmy has some big shoes to fill.

I briefly tried the Columbia with an Eminence Canabis Rex tonight and it was nice but didn't have the presence or sweet detail of the Jupiter 12LC (For me).

Ercek

Silver Supporting Member
Was feeling neglected, then this showed today, on a Sunday. Sounds insanely great! Loaded with 5881s per Lou's suggestion.

LouisElectricColumbia.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom