Louis Electric Kr-12 EQ Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thesweetness, Feb 25, 2015.

1. thesweetness

thesweetness Supporting Member

Hey guys, I'm the proud new owner of Lou's KR-12 and I'm experimenting with the broad range of settings it has. I'm really loving how adjustable the eq is. With the plethora of sounds available I was hoping some of you could chime in with your favorite settings? I'm particularly interested in those of you with humbucker guitars! Thanks!

2. thesweetness

3. davebc

davebc Member

I like plugging into the gain 1 channel for a little more break up and bite.
    Treble 7-8
    Mids 8-9
    Bass 2-3
    Presence 5-7
    Volume 9-12
    Master taste

Negative feedback tweaked until the amp blooms.

Occasionally I'll also plug in the dummy quarter inch into the bright 2 if I want more gain

I've never used the highest gain setting with the dummy jack in normal 1!
    Too over the top for me.
    Hope that helps.

4. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Congrats! I'll check-in later when I get home.

5. davebc

davebc Member

Your mileage may very
    Because all of my Louis amps sound very different
    but it's a start.

Sometimes I'll run the Master Volume on 9 or 10 and the volume 4 and above up to 7.
    I've also run both Volumes at 7 with or without the dummy jack.
    Also got a very cool tone running the volume on 9 and the master on 7
    and visa versa.
    These were all with my les paul. I like a lot of balls and singing sustain.

6. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

So OP, what speaker did your KR-12 come with, as I'm assuming you got the 1x12 combo?

Mine came with a Lead 80, which I wasn't thrilled with, and replaced it with a Creamback 75H, which I wasn't thrilled with. After numbrous speaker-swaps since then, I've settled on a Cannibas Rex.

I "close" the NFP about 3/4 of the way, thus lowering the overall headroom. It seems that, the more "open" the NFB is (more headroom), the less filtering there is (maybe not technically speaking), and it can make a speaker cry. I think this is a matter of finding the sweet-spot once you've settled into a speaker that you like.

I also seem to prefer using the Normal 2 (lower gain) clean channel these days. It's a bit less powerful than Normal 1, but the cleans are gorgeous and the amp seems abit more manageable under my conditions.

I use the gain and master volume to get near edge-of-break-up tones, then goose it with a dirt pedal for more saturated overdrive.

7. thesweetness

Thanks guys! Right now it has the lead 80 in it. As you said, I'm not overly thrilled with it. I'll probably leave in for a while though. I'd like to put a speaker in that's a little less dark sounding. I had the same problem with an avatar hellatone 30 in a jtm45 I had. One scumback j75 later and it really made the jtm sound more clear.

I've loaded the KR's preamp with 3 vintage (nos-ish) RCA Blackplate 7025s and WOW, what an amazing impact they've had. The amp sounded great stock but the old glass brought it into another dimension, to one not only of sight and sound but of mind (lol, couldn't resist). Now I'm thinking I may have to hunt down some nos Mullard el34s before I do any speaker stuff.

I've been eq'ing the amp on the bright side like you fellas.