Louis Electric KR 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by clarkram, Jan 15, 2008.

1. clarkram

clarkram Member

I noticed about a year ago a number of people mentioned getting a KR12.
    Do you still like the amp after the honeymoon stage?

I just placed an order with Cliff at DAG for the head version, probably 8 weeks out and was curious if current owners/players were still diggin the amp.

I plan on running the head into a B Burt 1x12 loaded w/scumback H75 HP.

so, do you still like it?

2. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

I sold mine, but not because I did not like it. I'll spare the long story of why. What I can say is that it was probably the best sounding amp I've ever played through. I've never heard a 1x12 sound that huge. Very versatile, and loves pedals.

I WILL have a Louis again someday. I've been thinking either another KR 12 or a Baby Bluesbreaker.

3. onemind

onemind Member

I had an opportunity to briefly play a KR12 this week (and speak to Lou) It's everything it's said to be, and I'll concur, the hugest sounding 1x12 ever.... ever.

4. mude

mude Supporting Member

I have played 2 and both have been great. Currently, I have one in a Bob Burt cab (1x12 combo) that is spectacular IMO. As big/deep a sound out of a small 1x12 as I have played, but still retains the bite and clarity to really cut in the mix as appropriate. It allowed me to sell a D13 10/20 that had been my go to gigging amp. The KR12 is an amazing pedal platform that also has lot of built in gain if you want to use it that way (and a boost switch to help control it).

No current plans to sell and only 1 reason to consider selling that comes to mind. The KR12 is not cheap and I tend to like to try other things that are not cheap. Bad habit that causes me to sell some pretty fantastic stuff that I know I like on occasion. That being said, the Louis is not expensive compared to a lot of the other popular stuff on this board (and is down right cheap compared to a bunch of it) and is incredibly well built (again, compared to a lot of what people consider to high end stuff around here, this thing shines IMO).

I do think that it is one of the best combos that I have ever played. I would have to line them all up side-by-side under the same conditions (with the same guitars and pedals) to know for sure, but this is certainly one of the best I have played. Enjoy.

Evan.

5. Sol

Sol Member

Does anyone know if Lou would send one of his amps(I guess it would have to be a head) To the U.K. ?

I would love the KR12 as a head, it sounds pretty much perfect for the music i play, at least from clips Ive heard, and is the head version a little bit cheaper than the combo?

Cheers,
    Sol

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I was doing great until I read the description of this amp. Now I'm bleeding for one. Not that I need it, but since when has that ever mattered?

So is the master pretty decent on it, or do you really need to crank it to get the goods?

7. cubado

cubado Member

gassing....

( dang Cliff ! )

any new thoughts?

new owners?

8. davebc

davebc Member

Louis Rosano just may go down as one of the most important amp builders of our time.
    Not to mention one of the most humble, down to earth guys I've ever known.
    I was SO floored by my KR12 and Bluesbreaker(the reviews are here) I gave Lou total discretion to come up with replacement for some Vic Twins I sold.
    In a little more than a month he designs and builds me a KR 10-12.
    "Wait until you hear this thing. You're not going to believe this amp. This is the sickest amp in the world," Lou says to me laughing.
    He plays it over the phone and I just couldn't believe my ears.
    You can't describe these tones with mere words, except maybe,
    the richest, most authentic, singing(clean or distorted) truest vintage tone ever.
    And, with the 4 way gain stages, negative feedback pot, and most useable master volume, for me the most versatile.
    In my near 40 years of playing, discovering Lou's amps and working him has been one of the best experiences ever.
    I can't imagine anyone plugging into a KR 12 and not being completely inspired!

9. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

definitely on my short list!

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

Lou's a great guy - I met him at the NYAmpShow last May, I hope he'll be at the next one on May 10 this year.

Best, Pete.

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I want one of these suckers pretty fookin' bad.

12. davebc

davebc Member

We've all seen amp trends come and go. Lou is definitely not the flavor of the month. Louis Electric amps are a very unique creatures.
    The piano like bang on the low strings is ridiculous, like getting hit in the face with a baby grand; now crank up the gain, forgetabout it!
    I feel bad that I'm not playing my other amps.

13. clarkram

clarkram Member

Its been 4 weeks since I placed my order, 4 weeks or less? to go.

14. K-man

K-man Member

Same here. If you are into vintage tone, there is no finer amp on the planet. It's amazing how huge his 1x12 combos sound.

15. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

This is what I wrote on Harmony Central last year:
    Product: Louis Bluesbreaker
    Price Paid: USD 2,725
    Submitted 01/12/2007 at 02:04pm by Rene Burkard

Features [​IMG]: 8

Louis Baby Bluesbreaker JTM-45.
    While originally actually based on Leo Fender???s piggyback bassman amp design, this is an almost exact copy of the famous Marshall JTM Bluesbreaker. What I mean with ???almost??? are following differences: A smaller cabinet which houses only 1 x 12??? Celestion G12H Anniversary and the addition of a potentiometer next to the speaker jack that that controls the amount of negative feedback in the power section. The original size cabinet with two 12??? speakers is also available. The amp consists of three 12 AX7s, two KT66 and one GZ 34 rectifier tubes. The control panel offers the traditional two channels each with one high and one low gain inputs. The control panel consists of 2 Volume 1 Bright 1 Normal Treble Bass Middle Presence. The output transformer is custom made to match the original Radiospare specs and the pots are all 2 watt potentiometers to original military specifications. The quality of the construction and components is obvious even in little details like the use of threaded inserts and machine screws for attaching the amp chassis to the cabinet instead of using wood screws. This is a very portable little combo and weights only 40 pounds while delivering up to 45 watts RMS tubepower which is actually not much louder than any of the 18 watt amps that I used over the last few years. The biggest difference is a significantly bolder low end and much better playing dynamics with the Baby Bluesbreaker.

Sound Quality [​IMG]: 10

To me the amp sounds absolutely reminiscent of the vintage Marshalls that I owned in the past. A good Gibson Les Paul with Burstbuckers or original PAF's sounds absolutely authentic to what Eric Clapton produced on John Mayalls ???Beano??? album.
    I know that a lot of manufacturers in the boutique amp community claim that their products will deliver the same, however I was unable to find it in any other product I ever tried. Louis Rosano seems to have that bit of magic spice that seems to make the difference, or the amp I got is an exception from the rule.
    Using a Strat I have to add a classic treble booster to get more gain to compensate for its relatively low output pickups. The sound is absolutely wonderful and very easily controllable from the guitar???s volume control. You can get everything from rich clean to raunchy to crunch to singing lead. The amp snarls and growls and has that classic Marshall midrange bark while still sounding warm and woody. The lows stay focused but are not too tight. The amp is alive and reacts quite well to picking dynamics but does it in a very natural way and is not too extreme. A lot of clones offer these attributes too, the Louis just does it better than any other clone I have played. This is a real ???What Else Do You Need??? amp. Takes pedals like delays or vibes very well and is very quite over all, especially when you reduce the amount of negative feedback. In this case the amp loses some of its impact and loudness, but everything else stays the same. You just wonder why someone ever dared to come up with a different amp design with the exception of the VOX AC 30. But this is just my own very biased opinion. You decide for yourself.
    While I am not a big fan of the Celestion G1230H Anniversary, I have to say that the speaker does not bother me in any way with this amp. It sounds great. I tried one of my Celestion Alnico Golds and might end up putting one into the combo since I run the amp wide open. The G12H is rated at only 30 watts, so this could not only result in a blown speaker but also a burned output transformer and powertubes.

Reliability [​IMG]: No Opinion

Don't know yet. It is new. I don't have any concerns with this simple design except for the fact that the rated power capacity exceeds what the Celestion G12 H can possibly take. Over all the workmanship and the materials used are top notch.

Customer Support [​IMG]: No Opinion

Don't know.

Overall Rating [​IMG]: 10

I owned and played a lot of different gear in my 39 years of guitar playing experience and worked for 25 years in the music industry as a musician, recording engineer, producer, and sales manager for a major Japanese musical instruments distributor in Europe. Besides my vintage amps that I have all sold over the years (Marshall, Fender, VOX, Selmer) I own or have owned following newer amps: Blockhead 18 Firstborn, Fuchs ODS30, Fuchs Train 45, Germino Club40 (Serial #1), Fender 57 Twin RI, Dr. Z MAZ 18 and MAZ 38, Dr. Z Stingray, Budda Twinmaster Ten, Sovtek MIG50, Boogies MK1, MK2, MK3, MK4, Dumble ODS, Swart Atomic Tone 20, Pritchard Sword of Satori, Divided by 13 RSA 23 and Matchless SC30.
    No other new amp impressed me as much lately as the Louis Baby Bluebreaker with the exception of the Reinhardt 18 and Reinhardt Jester. If you like that classic British Blues or European Rock from the sixties and seventies, the Louis might be very well worth a try. Very portable and gig worthy from clubs to big stages. Yes, it is expensive. I love this amp.

16. cubado

cubado Member

thanks...

is not the Bluesbreaker a whole diff beast ?

17. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Loving my KR12. It just sounds huge. The perfect vintage tones, from tweed to plexi and all points in between, from one 1x12 combo. Amazing. And whoever said it rings like a piano hit the nail on the head.

18. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

What does the negative feedback pot do? I have messed with it a little but didn't notice any huge change. What is your experience with it?

Also, mine has two speaker jacks. The stock speaker is 8-ohms and plugged into the jack nearest to the back panel. What impedence is the other jack?

19. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

If it has not changed since I owned it, then it is 16ohm.

20. matte

matte Senior Member

kr 12? HUGE notes. i'm cutting tracks with mine today (thanks cliff!!!!) and the range(from clean via guitar volume to over the top gain kicking in the extra gain stage) is unparalleled. the amp feels amazing at any gain level too.