Louis Electric KR12 opinions wanted!

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I've sold off a lot of my amps and thinking about a tweed meets Marshall vibe. Looking for a head or combo and the LE KR12 looks like what I want. The newest ones have a 20/40 watt switch and the damping knob is now on the control panel.

I currently own:
'75 Marshall JMP modded
Matchless Clubman Reverb
1965 Fender Bassman
Mesa Boogie King Snake
'60s Ampeg Jet

So...what are your experiences for those of you guys using one now or in the past!?

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I LOVE the KR12. One of the few amps I've owned a couple of times. I think SaltyDogg here has likewise owned it more than once and still has one. Perhaps he'll chime in as well.

IMO it's tilted more to Marshall than tweed but it's not a high gain Marshall sound. More like a perfect Marshall sound.

I had one issue with it and it's odd. I kept finding myself turning the amp up to get the most out of it and as a result I was playing really loudly in a small space. Kind of funny as it literally gave me headaches but I couldn't keep myself from dialing it in at its sweet spot, which was loud.
The addition of a half power switch is a good thing.

It has an odd scheme to find your favorite tones. Its got four inputs and the tone varies considerably based on which input you use and whether you use a jumper cable with it and, if you use a jumper cable, where you plug it in.

I've owned a 1x12 combo and head w/ 2x12 cab. Obviously the sound was bigger with the cab but the head projected well. IIRC it weighed in at just under 50 lbs.

It's one of my all time favorites. With a half power option I'll have to keep my eye out for one. If you happen to get it and not love it, feel free to reach out.

Looking forward to your review.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
I've sold off a lot of my amps and thinking about a tweed meets Marshall vibe. Looking for a head or combo and the LE KR12 looks like what I want. The newest ones have a 20/40 watt switch and the damping knob is now on the control panel.

I currently own:
'75 Marshall JMP modded
Matchless Clubman Reverb
1965 Fender Bassman
Mesa Boogie King Snake
'60s Ampeg Jet

So...what are your experiences for those of you guys using one now or in the past!?
really potent amp. i ended up trading mine for a victorilux. the only reason i did that is that i also have a hsm-12 with kt66's, which is the same platform, i think the ot is slightly smaller, still very very nice. it's actually in the emporium, but not because it's not killer and unique, i'm just gonna feed my jim kelley jones. hopefully, i can end up having both, for comparison purposes, we'll see.

MHG

It's been a while since I had one, but it was a very nice amp. The only reason I sold it was because my GAS was very strong, and it was an EL34 amp. I just always prefer 6L6s. But the KR12 sounds really, really, nice though, and is definitely an amp I'm tempted to re-purchase to scratch that EL34 itch.

GAT

Looking at the amps I currently own, does the KR12 carve out a niche that I don't have covered?

lgehrig4

Gold Supporting Member
I've owned a KR12 combo twice. Definitely a Tweed/Marshall vibe and wouldn't overlap with what you have currently.

Never played a Jet, KS or '65 Bassman but the KR12 will be looser and more vintage than your Marshall and more compressed than the Clubman

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
I bought my first KR-12 from @wrxplayer (local deal) a number of years ago, and it was a head format. I ended-up selling the head, to purchase the 1x12 combo, which I still have. The KR-12 has been the amp I've owned the longest since becoming a member here (which speaks volumes...haha).

The tones from the KR-12, and any LE amp I've owned are vintage-inspired, which I love. Nothing modern about them. I've seen some clips of the KR-12 and some guy was getting some pretty high-gain (assuming he wasn't using a pedal) but, I don't think it does high-gain. Yeah, it'll get crunchy, but not heavy-sustain-dripping gain. I prefer the clean-headroom, and using pedals to push the amp, which the amp handles very well.

KR-12 Pros: Marshall/Tweedish vintage tones and feel. Quite versatile between the different input-options, the pedal and the dampening-knob. It worth spending sometime in the different inputs. I prefer a Creamback 65M over the Lead 80(?) that the combo's were coming stock with.

KR-12 Cons: The weight of my combo is 54lbs iirc, so it's not exactly a grab-n-go imo, but if you're gonna play for 3-4 hours, then it's worth "the hump". I can't think of another negative...oh, the dampening-knob on mine is under the chassis, which is a PIA, but it's generally a set-n-forget option.

I like the idea of the 20/40 switch as well, and the exposed dampening (NFB?) knob.

Last edited:

lgehrig4

Gold Supporting Member
i was imagining dialing the kingnake to emulate the le, not the other way around.

I'm sure it's a situation where you can play the same music on either without a non-guitar playing audience noticing, but for a gear head like GAT there's no overlap

GAT

I bought my first KR-12 from @wrxplayer (local deal) a number of years ago, and it was a head format. I ended-up selling the head, to purchase the 1x12 combo, which I still have. The KR-12 has been the amp I've owned the longest since becoming a member here (which speaks volumes...haha).

The tones from the KR-12, and any LE amp I've owned are vintage-inspired, which I love. Nothing modern about them. I've seen some clips of the KR-12 and some guy was getting some pretty high-gain (assuming he wasn't using a pedal) but, I don't think it does high-gain. Yeah, it'll get crunchy, but not heavy-sustain-dripping gain. I prefer the clean-headroom, and using pedals to push the amp, which the amp handles very well.

KR-12 Pros: Marshall/Tweedish vintage tones and feel. Quite versatile between the different input-options, the pedal and the dampening-knob. It worth spending sometime in the different inputs. I prefer a Creamback 65M over the Lead 80(?) that the combo's were coming stock with.

KR-12 Cons: The weight of my combo is 54lbs iirc, so it's not exactly a grab-n-go imo, but if you're gonna play for 3-4 hours, then it's worth "the hump". I can't think of another negative...oh, the dampening-knob on mine is under the chassis, which is a PIA, but it's generally a set-n-forget option.

I like the idea of the 20/40 switch as well, and the exposed dampening (NFB?) knob.

Thanks! A head would be best for me as my guitar/amp room is pretty tight. I also have two great sounding cabs. A Kerry Wright 2x12 with old Greenbacks and a JD Design 2x10 with Greenbacks. However, I love the look and vibe of the combo and I love that I can take a combo to a gig. The King Snake is 65 pounds I believe and I haul that around. But, moving a head/cab is easy too.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Thanks! A head would be best for me as my guitar/amp room is pretty tight. I also have two great sounding cabs. A Kerry Wright 2x12 with old Greenbacks and a JD Design 2x10 with Greenbacks. However, I love the look and vibe of the combo and I love that I can take a combo to a gig. The King Snake is 65 pounds I believe and I haul that around. But, moving a head/cab is easy too.

I agree, the KR-12 combo does look badass...and the cab sounds excellent too, so win-win. :)

When the KR-12 is compared to a Marshall, I wouldn't purchase one expecting Marshall-type gain. I don't think that was Lou's intention. Think clean-to-edge-of-break-up, imho.

GAT

I have amps that do the gain thing pretty well. I use pedals to hit all my amps anyway. I use a Klon, a Red Snapper, a Lovepedal Lil China and a Vertex boost. I usually only have two on my board and I run the amps on the edge of breakup.

Does the KR12 clean up well? Any chime? Harshness?

GAT

A couple other things. A few reviews said the amp was loud and I wonder if the master is a good one? I'm not looking for bedroom volumes, but some gigs I need to be in the 15-25 watt range volume wise.

Also, how big is the amp? I know the dimensions, but it sounds like a slightly smaller Super Reverb. I had a Longhorn and that was a large combo.

Last edited:

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
I had a Longhorn combo too, and I agree that it was cumbersome to move. You're right, the 1x12 was the size of a Super Reverb and probably just as heavy. The KR-12 is not that big/tall, weighs much less, and is more manageable, imo.

The settings that Greg is using on the video would be quite loud in an empty room, imo. Because I like the cleans, with the band (2 guitars) I usually run both volumes around 6 or 7, but running the gain (or; regular volume) higher than the Master will certainly produce those tones you're hearing in the video. Punchy and vintage. That video is a good representation of what the amp is capable of. I think the Master Volume works well, but not to bedroom-volumes, however you can also make use of the 2nd-inputs on the amp. That will bring the volume down too. This is subjective, but I think the amp cleans-up pretty well on the guitar's volume. ymmv, etc...

Of course, not every amp is for everybody, but I really dig it. I've had a KR-12 in one form or another for several years, which is a TGP-record for me, so I guess I really like it?

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
A couple other things. A few reviews said the amp was loud and I wonder if the master is a good one? I'm not looking for bedroom volumes, but some gigs I need to be in the 15-25 watt range volume wise.

Also, how big is the amp? I know the dimensions, but it sounds like a slightly smaller Super Reverb. I had a Longhorn and that was a large combo.
the master works great. the neg feedback control is very useful, as the amp goes from really clean loud and tight down to alot softer, more "vintage" feeling, continuously variable. dialing the feedback down gives more forgiving club friendly tone. i'd go with something other than the cl80, kind of spiky and hard. i owned a kr-12, my hsm12 has a g12h30, works great. lugging wise, its manageable, not awkwardly proportioned.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
the master works great. the neg feedback control is very useful, as the amp goes from really clean loud and tight down to alot softer, more "vintage" feeling, continuously variable. dialing the feedback down gives more forgiving club friendly tone. i'd go with something other than the cl80, kind of spiky and hard. my hsm12 has a g12h30, works great. lugging wise, its manageable, not awkwardly proportioned.
what salty said. i never felt a need to get the master past about 7.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom