Louis Electric: New Master Volume circuit!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sonvolt, Feb 17, 2008.

1. sonvolt

sonvolt Member

Hey All,

Lou has a new master volume circuit/mod. I have a KR-12 and the new master opens the amp up. It sounds bigger and more clear at higher volumes. Also, it makes the pedal/boost amazing. The volume is more balanced, so you can set a chunky rhythm sound and kick the pedal on for leads. Just got done crankin' it at band practice.

He's charging $150.00 for the mod.

:BEER

2. 57special

57special Member

I thought the old MV was pretty good. Great to see he's not resting on his laurels.

3. davebc

davebc Member

Hey, I loved the original master circuit; but Lou is never satisfied.
    He used the redesigned master in my new KR10-12. It is the best I've ever used, so versatile. It opened up a whole new array of useable tones everywhere on the dial and throughout each channel.
    It's standard on all the new amps that use the 4 way gain structure; or like you said he'll do the mod. I always hated masters, until my KR12.

I wouldn't get the wrong impression though. This simply ain't gonna turn your 45watt amp into a bedroom amp, no way.

I did have a sonic orgasm the other night with it(don't tell my wife).
    Using one of my Strats in the higest gain input with the guitar midway, the tone was pristine clean and singing with Lou's trademark rich mids.
    With each subtle turn of the guitar volume the amp became more and more ferocious, always rich and very nasty, until finally dimed!
    Ah,,, life's simple pleasures, harmonics feeding back everwhere!

4. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Just had this done to mine and believe me it is worth it.

5. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Honestly Bleed I say not the best for bedroom/low volume. Can get closeto the VRock in terms of low volume but not as good. However; its descent for low volume use and with some tweaking I can get a good low volume tone but not a great one. Very good amp man with an amazing lead tone and harmonic overtones. Give it some air and its breathtaking dude.
    I wont ever sell mine for I feel its a masterpiece.Loves any guitar I throw at it and has loads of tones in the EQ. Honored to own it:dude

6. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Yep. Had it installed in my KR-10/12 right after I bought it. Very smooth and I might add, transparent. It will not muddy your tone like so many MVs do. Very well designed. Tough to decide between the KR and Tremblelux as my all-time favorite amp. For me, my ears, and the tones I like, these are the finest sounding amps I've ever played through. One caveat though...I'm a tweed freak and these are tweed based amps. So, if you don't go for tweed tones you might want to look elsewhere or into another of Lou's offerings such as the Ferrari or Bluesbreaker clones...also incredible sounding amps.
    There are just sooooo many gorgeous sounding amps out there now I'd hate for my livelihood to depend on whether I could compete. Thank God for people like Lou Rosano and other designer/builders like David Allen, Mark Baier, Clark, Germino, Reinhardt, Richter, Hullett, the people from Blueverb, Two Rock, Fuchs, Brown Note, Carol Ann, Heritage, Valvetech, Swart, Gries, '65, /13, Pure 64, Matchless, Bad Cat, Star, and Mike Zaite (Dr.Z). And that's just to mention a few. I mean, how would you like to have to compete against people like I mentioned for your very financial survival? Very tough business.

Tom

7. Free

Free Member

How does London Power Scaling compare to the Louis Electric MV? I thought power scaling was as good as it got? Thanks.

8. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

There is a popular builder I know and respect who only offers Power Scaling because of heavy customer demand. He doesn't like it himself!

I prefer well designed master volumes myself, or a real good attenuater used properly...

9. leodiditright

leodiditright Member

...and which one is a real good attenuator?

10. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

There are a few good ones, the trick is to not turn them TOO low;)

11. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

After rockin' out with my KR12 earlier I realized it might sound weird at
    real low volumes if master allowed it to, ,because the tone is so big and harmonic loads of overtones and feel. Choice amp but not for everbody.

12. davebc

davebc Member

+1 Lou's master volume is not designed to give you the rich ballsy harmonic content at whisper levels. The amp is 45 watts, and still needs to open up and breath.

13. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I don't think any builder designs an amp for that. That said, mine maintains a surprising amount of harmonics at low levels, expecially when at the high gain setting.

14. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

"[...I've heard privately now from some people that yeah the KR is not going to be it for me if I need great tone at lower volumes - it needs to be opened up a bit even with the new MV, and that's too bad.]"

I'll tell you, uhhh, un-privately that the last statement above is indeed true. It's not designed to be a bedroom amp. Even with a superb master volume. IMHO, the main strength of Lou's MV is it's transparency, smoothness, and taper. If you're looking for a bedroom amp Louis Electric ain't it and was never meant to be. However, maybe with the right pedal...?

Tom