Louis Electric

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by alainguitars, May 19, 2006.

1. alainguitars

alainguitars Silver Supporting Member

Why is there not more posted about these amps? I loved the clips and luckily found a used one at the local GC. This thing blows away the well known tweed builders. No names need be mentioned. A lot of builders talk about resonant cabs not needing reverb. This is the first amp I've played (except an original ac 15) that truly lives up to the hype. I'm a reverb man but I really don't even notice it's not on this amp. HS 12 model. No pedals needed for more punch. He's got the channels set up so that a dummy jack used in the other inputs jacks the gain. It also has a beautiful clean tone. I was able to demo in a sound room that also had the other well known names. This thing killed them.
    I don't think his price point is that outrageous and they are bargains on the used market if you can find one. I'll be visiting Louis next week to check out the rest of his line. I've found most boutiques to not live up to what I thought great tone was. My main amp has been a deluxe reverb with JBL D120. Sold off all of my boutiques except for a couple which I'll also be selling soon. I'm becoming as attached to this amp as I am to my guitars. First time.

2. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

+1

I couldn't agree more...

[​IMG]

3. alainguitars

What model is that? Stunning.

Alain

4. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

It's a 2x10 Swingking. Hands down, it's the best combo I've every played. I friggen' love this amp. And you're right about it not needing reverb, too. This amp sounds completely amazing without it.

5. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Louis' KR12 was a standout at the NYC Tonefest amid a room full of really great amps. Louis is a great guy, and one of the best kept secrets in boutique amps. Enjoy.
    Someone is selling this one on the Emporium right now
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=141875

6. WhosYourPal

WhosYourPal Member

7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

How did you find that used one?? ;) Glad you are digging it! :BEER

8. alainguitars

Tag,

Hope you got my email thanking you.

Alain

9. Richards

Richards Silver Supporting Member

I am really gassing for the KR-12, have heard nothing but great things about the amp, and Louis is a great guy to talk to, treats you real nice.

10. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I did, and no problem at all, I was only joking around above! I am really glad you got the amp, and are digging it. Enjoy!
    :BEER

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Those are really nice looking amps. Bet they sound sweet.

12. alainguitars

Thing is, they can sound sweet and nasty!

13. tombba

tombba Member

You guys are killing me! Maybe I should"nt sell my Kr12 I"ve got listed now in the buy and sell.It does have an exceptional 3d tone that does blues extremely well and as Lou told me,"that amp will do f%$#@ Santana"!Anyway,glad to see some appreciation for an awesome amp builder. Tom

14. Bruce

Bruce Member

A new guitar shop just opened in Long Beach, CA where I live call Gogo Guitars (gogoguitars.com/site.html ) and they got in a Louis Electric Bluesbreaker. They are the only distributors on the West Coast. Some of the nicest people to deal with I have ever seen. They had just taken it out of the box when I got there. I played the thing for 5 minutes and bought it. It's handsdown the best amp I've ever played through. I had an old Marshall Bluesbreaker back in the day and it never sounded like this. It's the KT66 model. He also makes one with EL34's as well. Don't ask me all the tech stuff because to be honest I don't really give a crap about all that. It means nothing to me. All that matters is tone. If it doesn't sound great I don't care if it was handwired all the way to China. This amp is so good it doesn't need anything in front of it except a chord and a guitar although it does sound great with my Fender Reverb Unit and TTE. If you gang the two channels together it gets the best blues tone you've ever heard and this sucker is LOUD! It says that it's only 40 watts but I think it is much louder than that. In low volume settings it gets a great Jazz sound as well. Kind of like those old Standel Tube models. I like it so much that I'm thinking of selling some of my other amps to get one of his 58 Twinmasters. They also had a Hubert Sumlin model and a Keith Richards model in stock too. Both of which were just as great only different. The overtone harmonics and richness of tone on his amps are the best I've heard of all the amps I've owned and believe me, I've owned lots of botique amps. He makes a variety of amps and his site is: http://www.louisamps.com/

15. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

+1 on GoGo Guitars. Great guys. I missed out on the Louis Bluesbreaker but they're going to call me when the next one comes in.

16. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Wasn't there a great picture of a satin natural finish on a solid pine KR-12?

-TJK

17. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

That's mine. My posts somehow got lost and I had to re-register. Unfortunately, I may have to put this amp up for sale. I'll post it in the Amps & Cabs emporium if I do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. muddy

muddy Member

louis makes the most ****-HOT AMPS around!!! i would KILL for one of his bluesbreaker/kt66 combos! i had a great yak with him over a year ago, & we couldn't figure out where or how our paths had crossed in the past (he's from my side of the planet), and he was just the nicest guy. he doesn't make a lot of noise or create much brouhaha (brouhaha? hahaha!); but his amps do a LOT of the talking for him, and he has a clientele to prove it! GREAT fekkin' amps, GREAT guy.

ml

19. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

Everyone who has played one of his Bluesbreakers has gushed over it.

My KR 12 sounds like a closed back cab. The bass response of this little thing is insane. I guess it's the naked 100 yr old pine cab.

20. Silverboy

Silverboy Member

All I can say is I bought Tombba's KR 12 a couple weeks ago and it's my favorite amp. (And I own a BF Super Reverb, BF deluxe reverb, BF Princeton reverb, tweed deluxe, 65 London, original Marshall PA 20, Gabriel Voxer, two Dr Z's...you get the idea.). Unbelievably warm and responsive and just perfectly...um...I guess "balanced" would be the word.

If Lefty Axe Slinger sells that KR 12, snap it up!!

I cannot believe his amps aren't more popular.