Louis Electrics- what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 57special, Dec 2, 2005.

1. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Heard a Louis (spelled Lewis) amp on the NYC Tonefest DVD, and hear nice things about it from the people who were there... sounded good on the tape also, but apparently was one of those amps (together with the marshalls) that didn't sound as good on the tape as in person.
    I know there was one floating around the Emporium for a while... seemed like it was kind of a hot potato. Don't know of anyone else who has one personally. Are they a unique sounding sort of amp that only certain people will like? Is there something about them that prevents them from getting bought?
    thoughts please!

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

They are very good amps built by Lou Rosano. One man band so there will never be a glut of them. I like them a lot.
    Check out: www.louisamps.com

Best, Pete.

3. 57special

yes , but are they as rare as a Gerry Peters amp?:p I've checked out his website, but hoped there was some more insight on this board. They seemed to have escaped the notice of the boutique buying public, at least compared to the /13's, Brunos, etc. Hell, maybe they just don't sound as good, but they seem like they might be up my alley. Nice cleans with a bluesy edge, and an extra gain channel to boot.

4. rbuono

rbuono Member

Lou is a local guy and he's done some work on my amp - seems like a nice guy. I don't own one of his but he has them in some of the local stores. I played through one once at a local jam and it was really nice but he sold it to Nils Loftgren I believe. I think Hubert Sumlin and Keith Richards have a couple. sorry don't know much about them

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Duke Robillard has one, too.

In fact, I think somne of the sound files on the Louis site are by Duke...!

His new Trem-a-Verb has me really intrigued...

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Jay Monterose used to play them out a few years back so I've heard them a few times. My impression was that they were loud, bright, and "tight" amps, roughly based on the larger tweed amp designs. Like most amps, good for some styles, not for others.

7. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

Gerry says hi. ;)

They're great amps. One of the few at that tonefest I can call a favorite, actually.

8. 57special

do you know what model you played? Can you liken it to anything?

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

The one at the NYCTF was the KR12 - one of my faves too, juicy Tweed Twin type sound. I wouldn't call them tight like I wouldn't call James, Gerry to his face (only Frankenstrat2 can get away with that).

Best, Pete.

10. 57special

that tweed twin RI sounded great, also. The louis sounded grungier, more mid-rangey, though in a good way. Reminded me of one of those Bedrock Royale Reverbs.

11. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

I was at a friends house 2 years ago messing mith my Marshall and Louis came over with his Keith Richards model. It sounded pretty good. Louis was also a really cool guy.

12. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

That was the amp I heard. Very nice amp indeed.

I like your "title" by the way. :)

13. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I think they are pretty good sounding. I have a head version of the Tweed Twin circuit he does, and it is an excellent amp. It's been used on some records.

The JTM45 clone he built for me is pretty nice too.

I have played a 100 Watt plexi he built for Hubert Sumlin and that was a very nice amp. It didn't sound that much like my Germino HR-100 - Lou pointed out that they are based on different examples of historic 100 Watt plexis.

We didn't sign the band that the JTM45 and Germino HR-100 were for otherwise I think those would be on records by now too.

Lou tends to like tweaking the amps for the customer. It's going to result in a bit of differences from one to another.

14. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

I'll put it this way--I think they sound great. Who knows what you really like for that kind of sound.

15. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz has a used Swing King right now.

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've met Lou at local jams. He is a decent, regular guy. Never played through his amps, but heard several. The first is owned by a local blues guy, I think was made in the mid-90s, if I remember 2x12. Didn't like that particular sound, but who knows exactly why.

Another young local player was working with Lou early last year on an amp in development. Don't know the model, 12" speaker, probably 40 watts or so. They'd go to local jams, playing the amp so Lou could dial it in and make adjustments. That one sounded really, really good. Just about perfect in fact. Heard it in a loud small club, and a loud large club. Stood out from the crowd in both. Impressive presence, more like a 15" amp. I've also heard Duke play his Louis Electric. That too sounded wonderful.

There was one at Lark Street music in Teaneck the last time I checked his site. You should check it out. I'd also talk to Lou. He could tell you much more about his design concepts and goals than any of us could.

17. 57special

The one in lark st. is an old one, basically a tweed Twin. Buzz said it sounded great and with those two Fane speakers it should be loud as hell. Thanks for the info.

18. WhosYourPal

WhosYourPal Member

I've known Lou for a number of years and finally got him to build me an amp. It's kind of like a hot rodded tweed with some nice chime to it. It's not one of his standard models so my wife dubbed it the LouieTone.

I've been in Lou's shop a number of tiimes and have literally seen him agonize over an amp's tone while he's working on it. He'll sit play tweak something here, play some more tweak something there. He's what I call an old time craftsman.

19. johnny q

johnny q Member

I know Lou - he lives 5 minutes from my house. I knew him first as a drinkin buddy, and then as an amp builder!! :)

I only recently went over to his house to check out his amps, and boy was I in for a pleasant surprise. His "Twinmaster" is the absolute best tweed clone I have ever played through, in fact, it sounded better than the genuine article, at least some of the ones I have played through in past lives. As someone mentioned, he likes to tweak amps to YOUR liking, there is nothing "off the shelf: about his stuff. While I was there, I had him look at my early 1980's JCM800 2203, and he suggested some value changes and simple mods and the thing sounds 100 times better now. Highly recommended in my opinon, shame he doesnt get the same type of "press" as some of the other boutique guys.........

JQ

20. alguit

alguit Guest

Lark Street Music in Teaneck, NJ might still have one of Lou's amps for sale.

I got to play a few of his amps at the Guitarbque two years ago in Asbury Park, and they were a lot of fun! I played one that was heading out to John Fogerty, and I really had a great time with a 4x10 that, with tweaking, could do Bassman-style cleans and even more modern hi-gain tones.

Lou seems like a really nice person, and he is VERY passionate about his amps.

They're not cheap, but he uses the absolute best components; I'll probably spring for one of his amps next-as soon as I can talk myself into going even deeper in debt! :)