Love/Arthur Lee fans: new interview w/ Jonny Echols by Rick Rubin.

Twisted_Kites

Silver Supporting Member
Great interview with Jonny Echols about the making of Forever Changes as well as the history of Love & the LA scene.
Rick Rubin’s fave album is “Forever Changes”. Go figure.
Rapper Danny Brown takes up the first 20min, Jonny takes up the rest.

Enjoy!

Echo Are

Gonna have to listen to the interview. IMHO, of the famous '60s psychedelic/concept LPs, Forever Changes is definitely an acquired taste kind of record. While there are a couple songs I really like ("Andmoreagain", "The Daily Planet"), most of the rest of the songs strike me as uhhhh....mmmm...cool, OK. LOL. Even the LPs "hit", "Alone Again Or" doesn't quite go down as easily musically as, say, a track off Sgt. Pepper's. Which, of course, is one reason this album is as celebrated as it is, and rightly so.

Echo Are

I listened to the interview this morning, very, very cool. Lots of stuff I didn't know of. For instance, I'd known about The Doors/Jim Morrison connection with Love, but it turns out Love had rubbed shoulders with many other famous and soon-to-be-famous musicians in the L.A. music scene back in the '60s.

Albion9

Thanks man! Forever Changes is a masterpiece and Love were top of the heap on the Sunset Strip live music scene that broke out in the mid 60s. They were right there with The Byrds and Buffalo Springfield. The sound of the acoustic guitars on FC are some of the best ever heard in pop music.

Twisted_Kites

Silver Supporting Member
I listened to the interview this morning, very, very cool. Lots of stuff I didn't know of. For instance, I'd known about The Doors/Jim Morrison connection with Love, but it turns out Love had rubbed shoulders with many other famous and soon-to-be-famous musicians in the L.A. music scene back in the '60s.

I've been obsessed with Love since the late 90s.
Read all the books, seen the documentary, own the dvds, etc...

I knew about the Doors connection but I didn't know about the backdoor deals everyone was cutting for solo careers, or that FC was supposed to be a double album, or how Bryan McClean and Johnny decided to "lay out" during the first FC sessions in protest against lack of writing credits.

All I had ever heard or read was that the band were so high on heroin all the time that they never worked the songs into final forms so when they hit the studio to track they weren't even capable of playing let alone remembering the arrangements.

BTW - it was interesting how Rick and Johnny never discussed the severe drug addiction in the band and how that made everyone paranoid and useless.
Michael Stuart-Ware's book covers the heroin addiction in detail.
OnePageBookCoverImage.jpg

Here's another great book on the band:
s-l640.jpg

Trevordog

I got to see Arthur with Baby Lemonade, a string trio and a trumpet player perform the entire "Forever Changes" Album at Town Hall in NYC, and it was great!
Arthur was a pisser with his comments about Michael Jackson and others he put down.
His voice was in great shape although he couldn't nail the first note of Orange Skies anymore.LOL!
Baby Lemonade did a superlative job of interpreting FC, and as thanks, AL fired them for no good reason.
It's like the title of Forever Changes; Arthur dumped his GF for some reason, and she pleaded with him,"But you said you loved me forever!"
Arthur's reply: "Forever Changes!"
He fired Jay Donelllan by telling him to meet him at a recording studio the next morning Jay got there, and there was a sign there saying "You're Fired!"
Haven't listened to the interview yet, but read the Einarson book at least twice, because I couldn't believe it the first time! LOL!

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
I saw Love in early '70, on the same bill with the Allmans and the Dead at the Fillmore East. Love was impressive. Exciting. Pretty much unlike anything else I was familiar with at the time. Arthur Lee was a charismatic front man too.

That was one magic night, among a great many at the Fillmore.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom