love for fab 50, need the cot 50?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by parkerbro, Dec 12, 2005.

1. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

i just picked up a lovepedal fab 50 and it's love at first strum. i've heard so many wonderful things about the cot 50. are the fab and cot too similar to warrant having both? thanks!

2. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I recently bought both so as to A/B them. They are very similar, too much so to justify owning both of them. The Fab 50 is a little bit hotter (more gain) and just a little brighter. Really, the difference between the two is minimal.

I sold the COTand kept the Fab 50, just personal taste, but I would have been just as happy the other way.

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

So are you using your COT50 to juice up an OD pedal? I'm close to trying one, just want to be sure I know what to expect... I'd be putting it either in front of my Timmy, or after it to tweek the tone. Would that make sense?

4. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

To my ears the COT works its magic best pre-OD. Of course there are no rules and you may find a desireable tone with the COT/FAB placed after the OD.

5. Ned

Ned Member

i love my FAB50 as a pre-OD stage, it really adds grit and life to my OD pedals and really makes them sing

6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

To be a happy human being and guitarist, you NEED TO have a COT 50. That's just the way it is! ;)

Seriously, I havent tried the Fab 50, but I thought it was like a fuzz? You get a fuzz sound out of the COT as well, but I mostly use for the sweet overdrive. The Fab must be a killer pedal as well..

7. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

is the fab 50 the same as the fab 50 fuzz?

8. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

It is my understanding that the Fab 50 is the predecessor to the COT 50 and that they are essentially the same.

9. drolling

drolling Member

So, it's Sean's version of a booster w/a bit of grit? Does it do clean boost as well?

What could it be compared to as a reference?

thanks guys,
    d