1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Love for the Mesa Dual Rectifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axe-Man, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I have really been impressed with my recently acquired reborn multiwatt Rectifier. It's such a lot of amp for such reasonable money.

It's got a really nice clean channel (possibly the first where I've really liked both the clean ch and the gain ch on any ch switcher), great touch sensitive mid gain, thick mid heavy high gain and of course 'that' aggressive scooped Mesa bold/diode/modern wall of aggro sound.

The ability to use tube and diode rectification makes a great difference in the feel and there are so many sonic modes to get what you want out of it.

It actually is a killer blues/rock amp which surprised me and it does that classic Fender Twin thing really well too. Add some trem and verb and it's impressive for a high gain amp.

I've found this iteration of the linage the most flexible by far. I've owned: 2 ch Rev G, Rectoverb 25 head, original 3 ch and the new multiwatt.

Particular mention needs to go to the excellent master volume. Rectifier sounds at baby sleeping levels through a 4x12? No problemo.

A great foot switchable serial loop? It's there for soaring lead work with some delay.

Various wattage and rectifier options per channel. Mesa installed it.

Lead boost? Been there forever.

It's even not that heavy for a 100w head (I think it's about 40 pounds).

Every single time I've played it for the past month I've owned it, I come away really happy. The feel is slower than say a 5150 but it's still great, it takes a boost like a champ (needed for the brootz tones) and I can basically play anything I feel like on the one amp. There is nothing I'd change on it.

I'm actually surprised that I really love the tube rectified vintage mode so much and actually play it more than the modern mode. I always wanted a super aggressive amp (the modern mode was the business whenever I played it) but I love how I can just get tastes of it and then swap back to the better lead and mid heavy mode.

That they are like 1/3 of the new price second hand is just gravy. I've been looking for years for one at the right price (as I can't justify spending $2500 on an amp - kids/wife etc and I'm not a pro player).

So, hell of an amp for the money. Highly recommended if you like flexibility and some Recto goodness. You don't even need to play aggressive music to really enjoy this beast.

LCW, Brettski, Tomo El Gato and 5 others like this.
  2. Unexplainedbacon

Unexplainedbacon Member

I prefer vintage too, sounds full & spongey. Been a recto player in various forms continuously since 2002 (single, OG 3ch, now Roadster) and each was a step up in terms of versatility and tones.

Funny enough I remember thinking it didn’t get much more brutal than a Rec, now there’s tons of amps with crazy amounts of gain. Recto still has that huge “trianasaurus rex screaming in your face” thing that’s fun

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Axe-Man likes this.
  3. Dale

Dale Member

Stop! You folks are making me want one.

Produktsumme, Deadpool_25 and Axe-Man like this.
  4. In Absentia

In Absentia Member

Killer, killer amps! I love the MultiWatts more than any of the others I’ve played. You are right about the clean. It’s a lifetime amp.

Axe-Man likes this.
  5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

LOVED my early (1993) Dual Recto. Great sounding amp that was/is so versatile. They get a bum rap because of all the drop tuned neanderthal string bending grunge metal players. Great cleans, crunches and screams and can do many classic rock tones. I miss it more than my original Super 60 head (Mark I) that I owned from '78 - '93.

6. rumstove

rumstove Member

I've recently been playing my Trem-o-verb a lot and really like it. For the longest time I thought about selling it or trading it in, but now I'm glad I never did.

stephen sawall likes this.
  7. Andrew33

Andrew33 Member

I owned one of the old ones made around 1998 or so. It was probably the most disappointing amp I've ever played. Don't get me wrong -- it was good for rhythm playing, and I did like the orange channel. The problem was always when I wanted to play lead. It felt like I was pulling a train with each note, sort of like if you've ever tried conducting a high school orchestra and they are dragging to play at your desired tempo. It's not a muddiness issue, it's just this weird thing about those amps that feels like you are fighting the amp when playing lead. I eventually traded it for a Marshall DSL 100. I sold my DSL when it started falling apart. I put that money towards a Mark IV, which has been awesome. However, I will say that the Dual Rectifier Solo Head has the most badass design of any head I've seen.

jasevenny likes this.
  8. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Been using my Tremoverb almost 25 years.
    Recently been thinking about picking up a MESA oversized 4x12 Standard cab.

9. 6L6wreck

6L6wreck Member

[​IMG]

I got an original 3 channel on a trade, was taking a chance because i couldn't play it first. Man what a great amp. Its been my #1 for the last 3 months since i got it. It really came alive when i put EL-34's in it.

Randall Smith makes a great amp !

10. buddy7168

buddy7168 Silver Supporting Member

I had a Rackmount that I loved back in college. I eventually sold it because I realized Marshalls were a better fit for me. Last year I started getting nostalgic and picked up this ‘94 Rev G head for $800. Sounds just like I remember.

[​IMG]

wildschwein likes this.
  11. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Love the Dual... but I really love the Triple too:

[​IMG]

Top-Bottom:
    Multi-Watt Triple
    Rev C Dual
    Rev G Triple

12. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

Yup the rectos are all amazing and they go for stupid cheap used for how good of amps they are.
    I've got a Multiwatt DR and a series II 50w single rectoverb, love them both!

13. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I think every self respecting gearhead guitar player should have at least one Dual Rec on hand. Killer amp.

Wizard of Ozz, jasevenny and 6L6wreck like this.
  14. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

Count me in. My reborn is the perfect amp for me. Simply amazing and versatile, deserves much more credit than it gets in these parts.

15. mnemonic

mnemonic Member

Rectos are my favourite amps. I’m reminded of why every time I crank one up. With a boost and some volume, they’re just massive sounding.

16. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

Not much to add that hasn’t already been said, just adding my voice to the choir. Awesome amps from an awesome company.

6L6wreck likes this.
  17. Grasley

Grasley Member

Forgive my ignorance but how do you know a rev G from any of the others?

18. buddy7168

buddy7168 Silver Supporting Member

It says the revision on the circuit board. I think there’s also a site that tells you by serial number.

19. Brettski

Brettski Member

I've had my triple for going on 20 years at this point. It's far from perfect but what a complete monster of an amp. Clean, low gain, all the gain... The thing will blow your hair back. It's also been neigh unstoppable reliability wise.

It was all I could think about buying when I was 18. I can't really say I'd go for one now given the competition. And when I was out trying to be rock n roll Jesus, the mesa was supplanted by a JCM2000 head at some point which sounded way better with my strat (imagine that).

20. mdog114

mdog114 Member

Tremo-verb in my stable, and I love it. I have the head in the control room and a 4x12 mic’d up out in the studio.

Great sound

stephen sawall and jlb32 like this.