Love for the Mesa Dual Rectifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axe-Man, Aug 24, 2018.

1. jlb32

jlb32 Member

'94 Trem-o-verb here also. It's just brutal and so versatile.

stephen sawall likes this.
  2. Theorist

Theorist Supporting Member

Never played a real one, but it’s one of my favorite models on Amplitube...

3. NoGlassNoClass

NoGlassNoClass Member

Plenty of Rectifier love here. My first Mesa was a 2-ch Triple. Then came a 3-ch Dual, a 3-ch Triple, now I am on a RoadKing2 Combo as the center channel of a W/D/W. Nothing short of awesome.

6L6wreck likes this.
  4. jlb32

jlb32 Member

Watching James play his Trem-o-verb at Guitar Center in this interview always inspires me to play mine if I haven't in a while. Just love my T-Verb.

LCW and stephen sawall like this.
  5. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

Just acquired a used Rectoverb (ROV) 25. Says “Dual Rectifier” on the front panel. Not sure how this little combo compares to the original DR heads, but it has beautiful cleans and some killer drive. Maybe I can kinda claim to now be part of the Dual Rectifier camp!

Axe-Man likes this.
  6. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

I LOVE my 2016 Multiwatt. It's easily my favorite Mesa amp. Ridiculously versatile. That it has a reputation for trashy, mid-scooped fly-over metal is a shame.

[​IMG]

jpage likes this.
  7. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

Love the Tremoverb.
    My favourite high gain amp ever made.

stephen sawall likes this.
  8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I have a roadster and have always loved the recto sound.
    I sampled it against the multi watt and preferred the roadster's darker feel.

I will always have a recto, even if I get other amps.

9. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I've been looking at picking up a dual or triple recto lately so I've been doing a lot of research. Based on what I've read so far I would have guessed yours to be a Rev F based on the small logo. If it says G on the board then I guess it's a G, but now I can no longer trust the small logo before I buy. I guess I'll have to ask for serial numbers.

10. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

You honestly can’t trust the serial numbers either after the first 600 or so when the Rev F came in to production. You need to see the pcb revision label near the 4 30uf/500V caps.

11. buddy7168

buddy7168 Silver Supporting Member

Yep mine says G inside. I’m not sure another way to tell without a photo inside. For 800 I didn’t care if it was F or G haha!

12. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Is it difficult to mod the faceplate?

I have the standard treadplate version and would like to get it changed to the Dark tweed look as it makes the amp look nicer IMO. Less boy racer I guess using a car analogy.

I wonder if I can get a local cab builder to use tweed speaker grill fabric or if it needs to be bought from Mesa at I imagine considerable expense. I want to keep the metal grill in the middle. I feel it’s probably welded to the treadplate so it may not be possible.

13. PhilC

PhilC Supporting Member

I owned a 2 channel way back in the early 90's when they came out. I sold it, stupidly. I just recently came into possession of a Rev D pre-500 version. Man, what a beast! Just crushing! But at the same time, on the orange channel I can actually get tones out of it that's like a high gain version of my K&M Custom (really old Two Rock) and tones that rival my OG Metropolous wired BE100 for modded Marshall leads. It's way more versatile than the dropped C chug chug stuff they've been associated with, although that is really fun to play with it.

What is everyone using for a cab with theirs? I'm actually using a 4x12 with greenbacks. It's more modded Marshall than modern metal. I want a traditional straight Mesa 4x12 with V30's, though.

14. LCW

LCW Supporting Member

Would you say you prefer your MW Dual Rec to your Mark V (35?) ?

15. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I use a stack with my Tremoverb. V30 on the bottom of both cabs. H30 on top in the slant. Greenbacks in the straight on top. I prefer the cabs both on the ground side by side.

16. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

I've owned a '92 chrome chassis, and three Road Kings. Amazing amps.

I want a reborn now!

17. Mike Lenning

Mike Lenning Supporting Member

Read his first sentence. ;)

18. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Love the DR but the Mark is more my cup.

19. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

Mesa will sell you a New Faceplate, call them. The Treadle plate is held on with heavy-duty double-sided tape. Use a heat gun to loosen it up, comes off pretty easily.

With mine, I masked off the part I didn't want changed, the Middle and emblem, scuffed up the aluminum finish and painted it with some etching black spray paint. I also changed the chrome knobs to a small black style similar to what was on the Friedman stuff. I could never see that little Brass Dot on the chrome knobs, to have any idea where my settings were when I was on a dark stage. Changing the knobs cost $25, 20 knobs x $1.25 from AmplifiedParts, the paints was $8 for the can.

Axe-Man likes this.
  20. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Dual Rec, for me. I've had the MV 35 for well over a year now, and, to be honest, I'm not very impressed with it (both in an absolute sense and relative to my previous MV 90). I fight with it every time I plug in, trying to find a great tone amidst all the endless shaping controls. And when I do, I often find that I don't like that same tone the next day, and I start all over again. Not so with the Dual Rec... It's very easy to make that amp sound amazing, and it takes pedals better (to my ears).

Plus, the 100w Dual Rec is actually much easier to play at lower volume than the 35w MV because of its EXCELLENT global output control, which basically serves as an after-everything attenuator in how I use it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    LCW likes this.