Love for the Thd Flexi 50!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Melodic Dreamer, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Reading through the forum I saw a Flexi question. This made me think a little. I don't really see a lot of threads about the Flexi anymore. So, I just wanted to give it up to THD one more time.
    Man I love this thing, what a freaking amp!!! How many people here still loven their Flexi?:dude

2. Jhigley

Jhigley Supporting Member

Hey Dreamer...not derail your thread but what part of WV are
    you from?

Jeff

3. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

4. fyler

fyler Member

my Flexi is much loved. i've had it for about a year and a half. no more honeymoon, just unconditional love...and tone.

5. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Still loving mine for over a year.

6. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I'm on the Border between WV and KY. I live in Mingo county, Matewan WV. It's around 2 hours from Charleston & Huntington WV. Basically i'm out in the middle of no where. lol:D

7. The wizard

The wizard Guest

I got one two weeks ago and I love it, but Im having a hard time
    finding a HIgain pedal to use with it.
    I ordred a Keeley DS-1 Ultra and hated it, someone told me about a pedal named Emma fitz something?
    Is it a good mach for the flexi?

8. fyler

fyler Member

i've found the Barber pedals sound great with the Flexi. i recommend the Burn Unit for high gain and the LTD for low/medium.

9. markp

markp Member

2 yrs in Jan.Love it.

Pedals,I like ODs and clean boost, Maxon 820,TIM,and Time machine boost all work great with the Flexis gain.I tried keely DS-1 and it did not work for me either.I like some Tube screemer types as well the mid hump is in the rite place to work with the FLEXI.

fyler,
    The Clip on your websight was crazy,loved it!

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

The thing that the Flexi shares with the Ganesha is great cleans (as well).
    No one seems to mention this, do you agree?

Best, Pete.

11. markp

markp Member

I totally agree,cleans ,light and meduim gain are my favorite.
    I love the lead tones but if I want some crazy gain I go elsewhere.

12. oxtone

oxtone Member

I saw and heard the prototype at the NAMM Show a few years ago, when Andy gave me a demo of it. I was blown away by it, and immediatly called my friend Bobtone back in Mpls. The next year he also went to the NAMM, and he ended up with Serial No. 25. He loves it.

We experimented with various output tubes, and the amp really woke up with a pair of GT 6L6S's I had laying around! We think it sounds best with 6L6's. The EL34's seemed a bit muddy to our ears. But, everyone's different...:cool:

13. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Ughhh!!!! You're killin me!!:D

Fedex says to expect delivery tomorrow:dude

with an Avatar 212 and hot plate.

After spending an hour with one last week in a setting that I could open it up, I ordered it immediately! (Great deal too!!!)

I'm so looking forward to it!

What sucks is that I'm heading to Hawaii next week to get married and I know that after 2 weeks, I'll be thinking more about getting home to play the new amp than my honeymoon!!!:eek:

Rick

14. AtomEve

AtomEve Member

I agree I love mine! I've got serial#40.

Kicks butt

15. planetal

planetal Member

+1 on the flexi.. A really great gigging amp..

I really like 6v6s in it .. I would like to try the tad6l6 small bottle in it as well.

Al

16. The wizard

The wizard Guest

I have some TAD 6L6 also, and I tryed them that makes the Flexi sound wery much like a Fender amp, Great! I love the clean sound in this amp, and with a TS-9 it sounds fantastic to me!
    Im getting a Maxon and a Emma pedal to test for higain this week, I can`t afford to have more amps so I need something to give me higain with the Flexi. Im running the Flexi in a w/d/w system. I have a rack with:
    Furman PL+
    Digitech DHP33
    Line6 Mod Pro
    TC Electronic G-major
    Digital Musiccorp. System Mix Plus.
    Digital Musiccorp. GCX
    Marshall Valvestate 8008.
    Im using the line out on the Flexi to feed the rack.
    Do I need like a tube pedal to get higain? (mesa V-twin).

17. mailman

mailman Member

I've been touting this amp for nearly 2 years! BEST DAMN AMP I'VE EVER OWNED...HANDS DOWN!!!!!! I was a black-faced Fender Twin "cleans" guy for many years, and this amp not only speaks to that, but introduced me to the Marshallesque overdrive tones (previously unattainable in the Fender). It's the best of 'both-or should I say MANY- tone worlds!' I realize there are other fine amps out there, but I have ended my search with the Flexi-50.:D

18. The wizard

The wizard Guest

I played around some more with the Keeley DS-1 today.
    I hooked it up infront off my TS-9 and used it as a boost.
    That sounded pretty cool, but alone the DS-1 just sucks bigtime on my setup. Im thinking on ceeping it as a boost.

19. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

For pedals , I have a Rodenburg gas 808 that kills with the Flexi , and also 1 of my modded BOSS SD1's does also.. DOn't use a ds1 with it!!

ERIC

20. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

The only drive pedal i'm using at the moment is a Timmy to boost the amps natural gain. I'm waiting on the new Crunch pedal by MI Audio. I just need something for late night playing, a good drive pedal for a lower volume situation. At first I was looking the TubeZone, but the Crunch pedal seems like something I would like. Plus, the things is only going to be 99$. :cool:

I haven't tried the DS-1 with the Flexi, but I have tried a TS-808 and a Boss Sd-1 and hated both of them. The Tonebone Hot British pedal didn't work as good as previous times when played on other amps. It still sounded all right, but not as great.

I think switching it into 50watt mode helps a little as well. This gives a little more headroom for the pedal to work. Maybe throw in some 6L6'S or 6V6'S and this might help the amp work with certain pedals too.

All I can say is I love my Flexi!!:dude