Love Jazz III's: I have found something even better!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ♫♪♫, Jun 25, 2008.

1. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

I don't know about you, but I have always been a dunlop jazz III fanatic. They allow such fluid picking at high speed because of their super pointy tip.

However, I tried out a new pick last weekend, and now I am pretty much stuck. The Dunlop Stubby 2.0 mm

[​IMG]

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-474R-STUBBY-JAZZ-PICKS?sku=110080

And they have such a nice attack! Speed plus nice attack!

Even though they don't have the tone of this per se,

[​IMG]

2. drbob2u

drbob2u Active Member

Try the V-Pick. WAY BETTER :)

3. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

I might be the only one but I really did not dig the V pick, the edges were somewhat rough and they had this clicky pick against the string I thought sounded really bad.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of the Stubby or the V-Pick. The Stubby is too thin sounding and the V-Picks that I had had too much 'ping' to the attack.

I do love Jazz III's and have used them off and on for about fifteen years. Other picks that I like are the D'Andrea Pro Plecs, particularly the squared off version and the small teardrop. These have a great tone to my ear. I also like the Dunlop Jazz Tones, though they have a bit of a 'ping' to the note attack.

Bryan

5. Alter

Alter Member

6. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

The 205 is one of the best picks on the planet! It is fast and articulate and smooth at the same time. I have a bunch of v-picks and I do like the small pointed. But the 205 is way smoother sounding.

I also like the Red Bear lil jazzer size in 2.5 guage.

7. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Have you tried the ULTEX jazz III's ?? Best picks I've ever used. Much stiffer than the regular heavey jazz III's. And they do not wear down.

They beef up your sound and you'll get no string drag..........my speed went up when i tried one.

Great picks !

I used both the purple stubby and the red and black Jazz III with great success - so I'm telling ya, I'm confident you'll love the ULTEX jazz III's.

8. MARK1970

MARK1970 Member

I love the jazz IIIs. I have only been using them over a year. I cannot pick with a regular sized pick anymore. I am going tryout some of these others you guys mentioned.

9. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

+1. I could never get used to the original Jazz III because I don't like the feel of nylon against my fingers. The Ultex ones are my favorites now.

I also like the Dunlop 2005, but I like the Ultex Jazz III better.

10. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Did the Eric Johnson Jazz III version ever come out?

11. jazzandmetal?

Yep. Got a few. Great picks!

12. James

James Member

I love the EJ Jazz IIIs. :dude

13. giggedy

giggedy Member

I was using the stubby's before I got the jazz III's, and I like the III's better, it's a little more pointy, makes for a more fluid attack.

14. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Old news, been using the Stubby's for 2 years now =)

Only gripe - they can get kinda "clicky" and it gets picked up. They do bring the beef, and save my right hand/arm because they make milking leads so much easier.

15. nek

nek Member

You forget the most important feature of the Jazz III! Got to be red so I can find em when I drop em.

16. jazzandmetal?

You should try a 205. They will solve that problem. If you want, PM me and I will send you one.

17. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I have been using Stubby 2s and 3s for the last 2 years as well... love them but do find them a bit "clicky" with clean tones especially - however - nothing else has that shape with that sharp edge and beef... they're awesome for alternate picking/sweep picking and most other lead techniques. I do find them lacking for strumming... but thats what fingers are for!

_TJK*

18. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I found an old Stubby (not the Big Stubby) in a drawer and have been using it a great deal. Great pick.
    I like Jazz IIIs and have several John Pearse picks I like.
    The V-Picks didn't work for me, but props to 'em.

19. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Member

20. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

I have been a regular Tortex user for 15 or so years. After reading this thread I have been going between a Jazz 1, Jazz3, and a Dunlop 205 all day long. <I work in a guitar store>

It seems i am now a 205 user. Quick fluid lines without the clickys. Seems to make it sound better. I just picked up a Tortex full size and it already felt VERY clunky.

Crazy the little things you overlook sometimes.