Love my SG Classic, Hate P90s! What can I do...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by morglan, May 30, 2008.

1. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

Are there any direct swap P90 sized humbuckers that will make my SG Classic sound like an SG standard?

Even better, are there any with chrome covers?

Are regular 'mini-buckers' a direct fit? Since my P90s seem to be mounted via the pickguard, would I even need pickup rings to install minibuckers?

Thanks!

2. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Hate P-90s...you need immediate professional psychiatric help!

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Dude, I think you need to sell it and buy an SG Standard.

I agree with The Pup (GRIN) Sincerely, it'll be a pain in the rear to try to convert it - just get a Standard you like and be done with it.

Good Luck, Dana O.

4. rkymtnhi

rkymtnhi Member

I read somewhere that some of those SG Classics came routed for hums and P-90s. I don't think mine came that way, but I recall reading a few TGP'ers Classics were that way. Anyone else recall seeing that?

Take a gander under your pickguard--you may be able to just buy a set of hums and a new pickguard and be good to go....

5. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

If you don't like P90's sell the guitar and buy a Standard.

Also, and what's the matter with you? :)

Jim

6. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

How much you want for the classic?

7. morglan

The P90s are extremely aggressive when overdriven and playing chords, but it just seems that I can't get single notes to sing the way my humbucker equipped guitars do.

I absolutely love the guitar otherwise--looks, plays and feels incredible.

I've been trying desperately to trade it for a standard over on HCF, but (for now) I'm only interested in a heritage cherry version (since I love the color of this one so much!)

Rkymtnhi--thanks for the heads up--I'll have to check under the guard.

And to those that have offered to buy it, thanks very much for the offer, but I'd much rather trade it for a standard.

8. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

9. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

Interesting, I have had better luck with P90's than humbuckers when it comes to "singing leads". The note articulation in chords is amazing, too.

I've had good luck with the stock P90's in my Historic LP Special but maybe you're just not a fan of the Gibson pickups. Rather than routing at this point why not try some of the popular aftermarket P90's like Lollars. Just make sure to get them wound as soapbars with dogear baseplates so they'll mount to your Classic's pickguard.

If they still don't work for your tastes you can sell the pickups without losing much of anything I'd guess and then think about moving to humbuckers.

I love everything about the Classic - bound, dot neck, small headstock - just a classy guitar.

Good luck!

Jim

10. bbocaner

bbocaner Member

rio grande babybucker with their adaptor ring.

11. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

yeah, i'm also wondering if it's more the gibby p-90 that's just not cutting it... if you swapped out the pups and still didn't like it you could always sell them and get most of your money out (people are always looking around for boutique pups to play around with...)

12. hipfan

hipfan Member

There are a couple of options out there. Seymour Duncan Antiquity II mini-humbuckers in the "Deluxe" size (with the creme mounting ring) could be a good option for you. I have a pair of these in an Agile LP copy and they sound fantastic. They won't give you a full-on PAF sound, but a very cool sound all their own.

TV Jones Power'Tron or Power'Tron Plus in the P90 size (no upcharge, IIRC) would give you more of a thick humbucker sound than the Antiquity mini's. Very cool pickups.

David Plummer (Zhangliqun over at the Les Paul Forum and perhaps here) makes some mini-PAF's that drop into P90 slots and are supposed to sound great. I haven't had the pleasure of trying these though. I can vouch for his full-size humbuckers and Tele pickups though. Good stuff.

13. morglan

Maybe it's something that I can fix...

The specific thing that I don't like is that the attack of the note is very overpowering, and then there's an immediate drop in volume. Just the sound of the pick hitting the string seems wrong to me. (If you've ever tried using a metal pick, it's very similar to that sound.)

My action is VERY low, and when I got it, the pickups were high. I figured that was the problem, so I lowered the P90s quite a bit, but it hasn't really fixed it.

Therefore, I've just assumed that this is what P90s were supposed to sound like--am I incorrect in my assumption?

14. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

try different P90's?? It might save you a pain in the rear

15. Al Nico

Al Nico Member

Sounds like something's wrong with the guitar setup, rather than th P-90s. Have you tried raising the action, either be loosening the truss rod (1/4 turn at a time) or raising the TOM?

16. morglan

The action is VERY low (I thought that was a good thing!).

Wouldn't lowering the pickups effectively do the same thing as raising the action?

17. Al Nico

Al Nico Member

To some extent, but it sounds like your action is so low that the strings don't have enough space to vibrate freely without rattling against the frets. P-90s should definitely sing with the right set-up.

It will cost you nothing to loosen the truss rod a hair, or to raise your bridge. I'd suggest that before spending $$ on pup replacements.

18. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

19. nnick

nnick Member

I agree on a set up. If that doesn't quite do it you might want to look into some Frailin P-90's.

20. morglan

Well, today I had a few minutes, so I took Al Nico's advice and raised my strings just a little.

I mean, so little, that feel-wise, I cannot tell the difference from before the adjustment.

Now I understand why you guys love P90s so much! Incredible! While not quite a humbucker, I now have great sustain and growl, with none of that harshe attack sound that I described before (and I played the SG a bit before making any adjustment so I wouldn't simply imagine a change).

The SG is now oficially off the market!

Thanks!