Love my Shiva, but......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by goodertone, Feb 11, 2008.

1. goodertone

goodertone Member

It's too much amp for me. I know the general opinion here is the shiva's master volume is very good, but I find channel 2 to be quite dull and compressed (in a bad way) at lower volumes (el34 ported combo w/reverb). If I were a giggin' man, this amp is nearly perfect for me. It has a monster sound (both channels-higher volumes), seems built like a tank, adjustable boost, etc.

To keep this short, I need suggestions for an amp.

NEEDS:
    -GREAT cleans ( I prefer bold, SRV-type cleans)
    -a pure sounding overdrive sound capable of VH levels, but not fuzzy or buzzy
    -FX loop
    -must sound great at reasonable volumes
    -must be capable of keeping up with a drummer for occasional jams
    -budget of $3,000

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Keeping in mind that I don't need channel switching, prefer heads over combos, and mostly play SRV, AC/DC, VH, type SHTUFF, What's gonna deliver for me?

2. bluntage

bluntage Member

I'd definitely suggest giving the Orange Rockerverb 50 a playtest. It'll do everything you've asked for VERY well.

:dude

3. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

+1 -- Fantastic amp. Mine actually replaced a Shiva for the very reasons you are describing. They sound KILLER at all volumes (love the 6V6s, btw), and they just feel good to play. I'd suggest that or a Budda Superdrive 18 or 30.

4. goodertone

goodertone Member

It's funny you mention that amp, because it's probably the best drive channel I've personally ever played through, but it's been a while. I seem to remember the cleans as being good, but not great. Would different speakers upgrade the cleans, while maintaining the drive channel, or maybe I'm just remembering wrong?

5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

If you have $3000, I'd suggest looking at the Egnater MOD50.
    You can select all the tones you want.
    Go to indoorstorm.com and check out the video clips.
    S.
    j

6. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Yeah, I think I spoke too soon and didn't realize you had a $3000 budget and need GREAT cleans. This is a tough one, and typically the amp we are all searching for but are having a tough time finding. Egnater would be a great option.

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Agree. Orange Rockerverb for me. Plenty of clips via my gear page in my sig.

8. goodertone

goodertone Member

Thanks for the replies, this is exactly the info i'm looking for! Leon-your rockerverb clips sound great. I know I like the drive channel, and your clean clips are convincing me.

One point I should clarify is when it really comes down to it, the overdrive sounds are more important to my decision. I'd rather have an outstanding drive sound from the amp and good cleans I can build on with pedals vs. outstanding cleans and a good drive sound.

One other thing: that Egnator amp scares me!:messedup
    I'm afraid I'd spend more time obsessing with sound tweakage instead of playing music. My initial opinion of the mod50 is the clean sounds outclass the drive sounds, but that could be due to tube type, speakers used, or just my tin ear;).

Any more thoughts on these 2 amps, or new amp suggestions are greatly appreciated!

9. Leonc

10. goodertone

goodertone Member

O.K., now we need to stop talking about the rockerverb before used prices soar.;)

Leon, what speakers are you using, Vintage 30's?

11. Leonc

I think those were recorded with a couple different cabs. I did have V30s in one of the cabs I used to use but in most of these clips, I believe that I played thru my 4x12 which has some great old G12H30s in it.

That being said, I'm now playing it through a home made, open-back 16 ohm 2x12--almost identical to an AC30 in terms of materials, dimensions and construction--with a pair of Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker and this may be my favorite for this amp. The Cannabis Rex attenuate the high end a bit...just right. The amp does sound GREAT with V30s though, that's kind of what it was designed for, but I like them a bit better in closed back cabs.

12. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Rockerverb love here too.!!!

13. H Golf Sport

H Golf Sport Supporting Member

Would'nt a bogner duende be a natural choice if you were looking for a lower volume/ power shiva?

Aloha, Rob.

14. ed84246

ed84246 Member

What about one of the CAE amps if you have that much to spend?

15. goodertone

goodertone Member

Hmmm... the duende does seem to have nice features and the blues saraceno clips sound pretty good. I have read very mixed reviews and also actually talked to a bogner dealer who very much dislikes this amp, but loves the shiva.
    Does anyone have experience with both bogners? I'd like to know:
    -how do the gain channels compare, tonewise and feel
    -how do the cleans compare ( I keep reading the duende is swampy)

16. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

If you're looking for a combo that can do the things you ask then check out a Deziel Einstein. I felt the Shiva's drive channel was also little uninspiring, i borrowed one for a week but i wasn't plugging into it after a day or 2.

The best master volumes i have come across are on the Mesa Boogie Mark series, most Engl amps, and Deziel amps. The Einstein sounds like it may be a good fit for you. Those amps have a super smooth feel to them but i didn't feel like it was that compressed. I didn't like the Einstein for metal playing but it was really nice for leads, i felt it could do a good EJ if the player was up to it.

17. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I feel the same way about the Shiva's OD channel....that's why I have an Aiken Sabre now. Also, the Egnator MOD50 would be another one to look into.

18. goodertone

goodertone Member

O.K., just to recap here. Out of all the amps suggested, I only have limited experience with one (rockerverb 50 demoed in-store). The amps that appeal to me the most so far (based on clips and/or reviews/previous threads) are:
    -Orange rockerverb 50
    -Aiken ?
    -Mod 50
    -Suhr OD50
    Based on my original post, which of these fit the bill the most?

19. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Have you tried a Hot Plate to take the edge off the volume? That's a pretty cheap/easy experiment.

20. goodertone

goodertone Member

I have never tried an attenuator, Do they work well with master volume amps or does it depend on the amp?