Love my tweed but need some clean tone... recommends?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by parkerbro, Feb 18, 2012.

1. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

This is for home use. My current amp is a Victoria 20112. I absolutely love it and want to keep it. But I would like to find a second amp that has none or next to no break up. I love the break up and grit in the tweed but sometimes I just want to hear jazzy cleans. Any recommends?

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Something in the Hiwatt vein?

3. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

4. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

Consider the new "unleash" by Bad Cat.

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

6. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

you cant get cleans from the 20112? what guitar/ i get lots of cleans with my Tele, but not as much with a les paul.
    i love the 20112. i think its my favorite amp ever!

7. chillytc

chillytc Member

I had and loved a 20112 and wasn't getting as much clean headroom as I would have liked with humbuckers. I traded for a 35210 and have been very pleased. More headroom and similar tone family (although a bit stouter than the Deluxe which has a magic organic quality that I'm not sure any other amp quite has). I'm pretty happy with the 35210.

8. BillyDW

BillyDW Member

9. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

the redplate blackloop 1x12 combo!

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Bigger Vicky? Golden Melody? 45410? High-powered tweed twin? 35310?

11. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I'm a rockabilly player, who is always searching for tweed sounds, with a lot of clean headroom. A solid state rectifier will help. An efficient speaker with late breakup, also helps a lot. My favorite is the 10" Eminence, Legend 105. It has a middy tweed sound, with a ribbed cone. That prevents the early speaker breakup of smooth cones, that you often see in tweed amps. Victoria uses them, in many of their amps.

The Kustom amps, are great for a clean, tweed sound. The Kustom '36 Coupe, Defender V50, V30 & V15. I've also owned the 4X6L6 versions, but I found that I could get as much clean headroom out of the smaller amps, with the right speaker and tubes. I run my '36 Coupe with Svetlana tubes and an Eminence, Legend Lil' Texas. I also have the Defender V15 (two EL84's). I run the military grade (Hi-Fi) Sovtek EL84M's. You would think that the amp was running 6L6's.

The Fender SCXD and SCX2, also have good clean tweed sounds. The modeling helps you control volme, for home use. But, you will loose some of the touch sensitivity.

12. parkerbro

So I just plugged an amp that's been sitting in the back of my closet... a Vox Pathfinder 15R. I hate to say it but this $100 amp sounds great. Maybe for my purposes, I should try solid state. I'm really liking the trem and verb as well as the sound of the pathfinder. Is there anything out there that sounds even better? Always on that tone hunt!

Also, Chicago Slim, can you tell me more about Kustom amps?

13. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

The Kustom amps were designed by James Brown, who also designed the Peavey Classics. The Coupes are made in the USA, and are a little more Fender sounding. The Defender line is less expensive, made in China, and sound more Marshall like. The speakers are Celestion, and they (V30 & 50) come with EL 34's. They are cathode biased, and switchable between EL34's and 6L6's. You could also run 5881's, for more of a tweed 6V6/5881 sound.

The Defender V15 has a single Volume, Tone, and Bass Selector switch. The Bass Selector has four settings, American to British (Blackface, Tweed, Marshall, Vox?). It also has a 1/2 power setting. Using the EL84M's, I still get very little breakup. The amp sells for < 300 dollars.

As a guitar teacher, I've been using a Pathfinder 15R, for over five years. It sounds good for it's size and price. But it really doesn't compare to the Kustom Defender V15 or Fender SCXD/SCX2. I also use them for giving lessons, in the home.

[​IMG]

14. parkerbro

Chicago Slim - thanks again for posting. Based on you experience, would you recommend the Defender, Fender or Coupe? Is the Coupe too much for home use? I don't mind spending a little more if it's sonically better.

15. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

Nathaniel,

I replied to you PM here, so that other's can chime in.

The '36 Coupe is a great amp. I also had a '72 Hardtop, that had Tremelo and Vibrato. Very rugged and well made. I used them for gigs band practice and studio work, for the past six years. The Kustoms have a Master Volume on both channels. You can set the level of breakup, at almost any volume. The weak points, were things that made them similar to to old SS Kustoms. The speaker, that was designed to sound like the old solid states, and the handle. The handles break easily. They recently stopped making them, and replaced them with the Defender line. The Defender line is made in China, but comes with a better speaker and handle. You may be able to find a good deal on a Coupe, on the internet.

Tim

16. parkerbro

Tim - sounds like the Defender is the way to go. I would just love to have onboard trem and verb. If money is not the issue, just sound, which would you recommend?

17. parkerbro

Well, I just ordered a new Defender v15 from American Musical for $270 including shipping. Worth a shot!

Tim - thanks so much for your advise.

18. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

The Coupes and Defender V30, V50 and V100, all have a nice reverb, with a Tone control. You can dial-up good surf reverb, with any of them. The '72 Coupe and Defender V100, also have Tremelo and Vibrato. I normally use a Zoom G2, for Reverb and Tremelo. The only problem is that they are 2X12 combo's, that they weigh about 72 lbs. Even if the size and weight isn't a problem for you, it makes more difficult to ship (and arrive in working order).

My '36 Coupe was bounced around so much during shipping, that it broke the power indicator lamp. The amp still worked, and the lamp was a simple plug it. Not an LED wired to a PCB. I used to travel 100 to 400 miles a week with my amps. Stage hands would often carry and set them up for me. Never had a problem.

If you can find a dealer in your area with a Defender, I would check them out. My Defender V15 also seems to be well made.

If you get a Coupe, I'd change the speaker. If you get a Defender, I'd change the tubes.

19. parkerbro

so i just ordered the v15. now i'm wondering if i should have gotten the v30. how good is the verb in the defender? how much of a difference is the extra power and larger speaker?

20. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

The V30 would give you a Master Volume, 50 watts, and a choice of power tubes. The Reverb sounds good on the Coupes, but I don't know if the Defenders use Accutronics or a Chinese version. It's still a single channel, but it has a 10 db Boost. The speaker size, is more one of preference. The Celestion G10N-40 in the V15, does sound good. Very close to the Legend 105. You won't get much clean headroom out of EL84's. The V30 is very new, I've never talked to anyone who has owned one. But it looks like a lot of amp, in a small combo.

Do you have effect pedals? I use my G2 for Tape Echo, and the Kustom's Reverb can't cover that.