Love SG's tone (and weight) but HATE the neck... any other options?

iowa

Corn fed basement hack
Silver Supporting Member
What don't you like about SG necks? Two wide, too fat, too thin, too Narrow, etc...?
I have played a number of SG's and there are multiple neck shapes.

WildTop

What don't you like about SG necks? Two wide, too fat, too thin, too Narrow, etc...?
I have played a number of SG's and there are multiple neck shapes.
Too wide... I think... every SG I've tried...

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
May I suggest an SG-like alternative to an SG? This is a 1971 Guild S-100. Some (all?) of the newer ones of this model are made in Korea, but the earlier ones like this were USA built as far as I know. Might be worth checking out if you can find one in the flesh to play first. A good friend of mine has one like this and he likes the same kind of necks I do (I like my nut width at 1-11/16" to thereabouts):

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
they're not all wide, you should try more. Mine is a Norlin era SG Special, and it's narrower than newer SGs I've tried.
Very true, up until the late 70's at least some of them had the 1 9/16" nut, and the late 70's guitars are still relatively cheap.

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member
Very true, up until the late 70's at least some of them had the 1 9/16" nut, and the late 70's guitars are still relatively cheap.
This is true. A 1970's SG is a great value and seems right up your alley if you like narrow widths...

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member
PRS Mira?
I'll second this. I'd been wanting a SG for years but every time I got one the neck carve (usually a slim taper 60s on Gibsons) and the ergonomics of the SG messed with me. I recently picked up a new PRS S2 Mira and it's got all the thing's I love about a SG (light weight, growling mahogany humbucker tone) but with a nice rounded medium size neck, body that hangs like a double cut Les Paul, and a volume control I can work with my pinky like I do on a Strat. The icing on the cake is the coil splits on the pickups, which gives more versatility than you normally get from a SG.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
My CS reissue SG neck would drop like a rock if I let go of it. Had to use a suede strap at a jacked up angle.

Russ73

PRS Mira, I have one and love it, plus your right hand sits in the right spot, not over your left leg...

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
Guild S-100.
As soon as I saw the title to this thread, I jumped in to recommend an S-100. They are somewhere between an SG and a light Les Paul in feel. Not neck heavy at all (at least mine isn't)

gtone

Lotsa different necks on SG's (and no, there's plenty of balanced ones too!). You just gotta try some more out... :^)

Trending Topics