• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Love telecasters, HATE the cutaway - what to do?

JWK

Title almost says it all. I almost tited this thread, "Why I will never find a guitar, Part II". But I figured most of you wouldn't remember and a lot of you weren't around then, anyway.

A tele fits me perfectly. I hate belly cuts. The upper horn on a strat puts everything in the wrong position for me. Les Pauls are too heavy for my back. A tele is good...except for the cutaway. My hand hits the horn when playing the upper register. This bugs me to no end. :BITCH

And before anyone can bring it up; yes, I am kicking myself for not snatching that Melancon that was in the emporium a while back. If I could afford a regular Melancon, I would have one already.

How do you guys deal with that narrow cutaway on a tele?

Just ranting. There's really no answer to this. Thanks for listening.

benjammin420

joking aside, if youre not interested on resale value, you could have the cutaway 'scooped' like on a Santana PRS

tildeslash

Silver Supporting Member
Have a luthier install a neck plate like this - problem solved.
I wish every body had this neck plate - it's awesome.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I don't have that problem with tele's and strats fit me better anyway, but I do know what you mean.
If that is all that is holding you back from the perfect guitar, it would be very easy to do a partscaster with a narrower horn for more hand room or just sand away the offending portion of your guitar with an oscillating drum-type sander.
Maybe practice on a Squier first, you need a spare, too:dude

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
other option is take a look at how steve vai cut away the lower horn of his 80's original green charvel-it was really cut away.
he said he had it done b/c his hands were so big he had a hard time getting to upper frets.
always loved the look of that guitar.

w/ his ibanez both horns are super cut away-and hence they look a bit pointy-which i've never been a fan of-but his original green charvel-i always thought was cool.
the other thing you could also bevel the top side of the cutaway also-to make access eaiser (or prs-it like someone suggested).
good luck.
s---
www.myspace.com/scotthansen
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=235503632389016121
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5791548553161416906&hl=en

HHB

I'd cut it, not off but make the cutaway thinner, why not if thats the only issue, crazy teles are the best teles IMO

DamianP

Title almost says it all. I almost tited this thread, "Why I will never find a guitar, Part II". But I figured most of you wouldn't remember and a lot of you weren't around then, anyway.

A tele fits me perfectly. I hate belly cuts. The upper horn on a strat puts everything in the wrong position for me. Les Pauls are too heavy for my back. A tele is good...except for the cutaway. My hand hits the horn when playing the upper register. This bugs me to no end. :BITCH

And before anyone can bring it up; yes, I am kicking myself for not snatching that Melancon that was in the emporium a while back. If I could afford a regular Melancon, I would have one already.

How do you guys deal with that narrow cutaway on a tele?

Just ranting. There's really no answer to this. Thanks for listening.
Several builders offer guitars designed to address this issue.

Here`s one: http://www.ricecustomguitars.com/index2.html

Damian.

RL in Fla

Go "Jaguar" with it . Nothin' in the way to prevent it , re-cut the pickguard to fit .
Or round off the upper also & make a Lesscaster .

Rich Rice

Thanks for the mention, fellows. I have the same problem with the horn, it's even worse on SG's.. That's why we did these Ospreys like this-

Trending Topics