Love the Lovepedal Kalamazoo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 6AM, May 21, 2011.

1. 6AM

6AM Member

I've always been pretty anti-pedal distortion. To me, it never sounded or felt right or good. I've tried tons of pedals over the years with different amps I've owned (Hiwatt DR201, Vox AC50, etc) and decided that while pedals like the OCD and the Fatboost sounded pretty decent, it wasn't as good feeling or sounding as a two channel higher gain amp.

I've recently decided to go in a different direction with my guitar sound. I wanted a Voxish sound that I could take from cleanish to medium gain while retaining the sound. I bought a Matchless and started on my quest for a good sounding OD pedal to add the gain, compression, and sustain I was looking for. I tried a bunch of pedals at a local shop on a Vox AC30 including a Lovepedal Eternity Fuse. I ended up buying a Fulltone Fatboost v3, however when I got it home to my Matchless, they didn't work that well together.

I put myself on a list for a Tim and decided if that didn't work, I was just going back to multichannel amps. I saw a Kalamazoo on the Classifieds and really liked the way the clips sounded so I grabbed it. I got it today and despite only putting about a half hour into playing with it, I'm really impressed. It retains the Matchless sound (it even retains the spongy bounce of the tube rectifiers) while adding a real nice amount of gain and sustain. The feel is great and it's really fun to play. I can't wait to try it at my next band practice.

2. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

cool to hear. I'm using Maz18 amp (fairly Vox-ish) and i think the Kalamazoo pairs with really well. I especially like the bass end of the spectrum, think its sounds really natural but tight for a medium gain pedal.

The Timmy was pretty good with my Maz18 (and better still with my Hiwatt). It'll be less mid heavy then your Kalamzoo, and can do a clearer, more neutral boost if you want it to.

Cheers!

3. Drew47

Drew47 Member

I absolutely love my Tim and the K'zoo into my Hayseed 15! They play nicely together too.

4. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Recently got an Amp Leven which is supposed to sound very similar and it booted some of the other ODs off my boa