Love the old Ampegs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nigel, May 12, 2005.

1. Nigel

Nigel Guest

But the surviving amps from the '70's are getting to be pretty thrashed - if you can even find one.

Why doesn't some enterprising young amp builder put out an amp that sounds like an old VT-40 or V4? I know the unusual tubes Ampeg used were responsible for a good part of their tone but couldn't someone put a similar sounding circuit together with 6L6's, EF86's, etc.? (Please?? :) )

The old Ampegs had/have such a great tone but I don't know of any amp builder that's building such a beast these days.

I'm looking at buying an old AC-12 right now. It sounds very good but it looks like it spent a few years under a pile at the local dump. The chassis is barely attached and it looks like someone took a chainsaw to the left side of the cab. :eek:

2. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

+100
    Those old Vt40 with the 4 tens were just killer amps. One of the best ever IMHO. Hard to find in nice shape and very underated. I keep hoping I'll stumble across one.

There are schems posted on these, shouldn't be too hard to replicate.

3. Nigel

Nigel Guest

Yeah, the VT-40's are one of the greatest guitar tones ever.

If I knew one end of a soldering iron from another I'd be tempted to give it a shot. :)

4. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Have a cherry condition 1973 Ampeg V2 w/ matching 4x12 here and it is fantastic. Original Magnavox 7067(?) tubes in it. It's Super Stonesey 60 watts. VERY loud, when cranked- so I'm sure the v4 is even louder. Has a great spring reverb that sounds like an old sci-fi movie when cranked. Also useful is the extra pushbutton EQ and treble boost/cut that you can use to optimize the amp for use with diff pups & guitars . It also sounds great with a bass- not just good but great, esp. when adding some fuzz. wow. You can still pick one up for relatively cheap, too- definitely still in the sleeper category- for now. It's a way heavy amp and the 4x12 is the size of 1.5 "normal" 4x12's, so bring a backbrace.

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Old Ampegs are worthless junk. Everyone knows that. There's absolutely no point in talking about here. Professing detailed ravings of love about your old VT40 or whatever will do nothing but get a lot of people worked up, causing the prices to get silly, as they have for various other better known (and more deserving, I might add) amps. Please refrain from any further discussion. Thank you for complying with my request.
    Code:
    This message brought to you by the American Asscocation of Anonymous Ampeg Haters (AAAAH).

;) :cool:

6. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah - and I *HATE* the '60s diamond-check combos that are so undervalued it's silly (like my '64 Reverberocket w/2-7591As). I cannot stress enough how much people should avoid these amps at all cost. In fact, I'm willing to take any Ampeg lying around that anyone might have. I'll even play poorly through it so others are forced to whince and run away - works with my other amps...

7. Nigel

Nigel Guest

On second thought...yes, the Ampegs suck very, very hard. No channel switching! No fresh, new circuit boards with Sovtek 12ax7wa's stuck straight into them! They are to be avoided at all costs. Awful, dirty old amps! :D

8. B3Nut

B3Nut Member

And I just *hate* my '71 B-25 2x12 combo! Good thing I only paid $10 at a garage sale for it, what a joke! :D It's so bad, I feel I need to relieve more folks of the ownership of these, I have a safe disposal place for these horrible vintage Ampegs. :D

You heard it here kiddies, unload those scary bad Ampegs on us over here and go get yourselves a nice Transtube or Line 6! Modern technology is better, after all..... :D :D :D

Todd in Beerbratistan

9. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

The question is, why with all the booteek amp makers out there, nobody does? Any of the ampegs... a real mystery.

10. Patch

Patch Member

The booteek amp builders have trouble to survive selling clones or variations of Marshall/Fender/Vox amps and these amps are WELL known. I think that, for one Ampeg-clone buyer, you probably have 100 Marshall/Fender/Vox clone buyers. For me that's a good reason for not doing it.

My 0.02$! :)

IMHO, we should all continue to hate those ugly Ampeg in silence!

11. 57special

57special Member

You've got youself a rare beastie, if it's original. i've never heard of a B25 combo

12. erksin

erksin Member

The only Ampeg-ish boutique amp out there is the Warbler/Juke stuff I think. He incorporates the Ampeg style reverb circuit into his Fender/Ampeg/Supro/Magnatone inspired amps.

The reissue Ampegs are nothing like the old ones. I wonder why they went that route? Seems like their stuff just gets lost in the Crate/Traynor/etc crowd...

13. B3Nut

B3Nut Member

After I got it home I looked online for information on it, saw a few references to a head and one reference to a combo. I have no idea what kind of speakers it has, I need to get a clutch-head screwdriver (cursed oddball fasteners!)

I'd post a pic but I have no web space.

TP

14. erksin

erksin Member

Go to any good Ace Hardware - they carry the Clutch-head drivers...

15. SBlue

SBlue Member

I have two V4 heads and one V4 4x12 cab from around 72/73. Unlike most of the other V4s(as said by other people), mine ones break up very early(volume after 3/ after 4 is already singin!!), and they had never been moded. I use to have also a mid 60's reverberocket that had one of the best reverbs I've heard so far. Not to say that the 60s and early 70s SVT are the most badass bass amps ever!!! And the B15 ther best recording bass amp ever made!!! Again, IMHO.
    Old Ampegs rule!!!!
    SBlue

16. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    yes, he does & quite well, too. i have a Juke 1210 & a '61 Reverberocket.

btw, here's a recent e-bay deal that nearly killed me w/G.A.S.:

guy gets a Reverberocket from The Man

:cool:

17. Nigel

Nigel Guest

Bought this on Saturday. Just trying to keep these awful old amps out of the hands of youngsters. :D ;)

[​IMG]

18. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

As the happy owner of a VT-22, GV-15, and a mid 60's Reverberocket 2 (with 7591A's) and as a boo-teek builder...

There's no profit in cloning old Ampegs. You can pick up a V-4 head in good condition for under $500. Even after your tech recaps, updates the bias circuit and installs a fresh set of 6550 (instead of 7027A) you're what? $700 all in?

It'd cost me almost that much in parts to clone the thing. Maybe more.

19. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I just picked up a '64 for $400
    And it sounds "horrible" wink wink

[​IMG]

20. Nigel

Nigel Guest

I understand what you're saying, Todd, but aren't there some circuit ideas in the old Ampegs that could be, say, a second channel in a new amp? Besides, people often don't mind paying up for a shiny new amp with a warranty where they know there's no questionable history to it. The V-4 I just bought looks good and sounds great but it could have been used as a boat anchor for all I know. It's also missing the reverb pan so no reverb.

You add a good master volume, reverb, maybe tremolo or some other dohickeys, cover it with snakeskin and - voila - you've got the $1500 Wakarusa Overdrive Deluxe. :) People would be lining up around the block.