Love what I can do with a Floyd, hate string changes, etc...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SouthernShred, Aug 28, 2008.

1. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

I've owned quite a few Floyd equipped guitars over the years...I love what I can do with it musically...I love the tuning stability of a locking nut...but I dread string changes...or mid-gig broken strings...all things that usually end up leading me to put the Floyd-equipped guitar in the closet or sell it...

Is there any other tremolo system out there that can provide great tuning stability and return to pitch without the inherent hassle of a Floyd? I don't pull up on the bar that much...or am I dreaming? :)

Shannon

2. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Just block the floyd so it wont pull up...

3. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

I know the Floyd on my Wolfgang bottoms out against the wood so you can't pull up. I've never broken a string but if the tension is strong enough, shouldn't the guitar stay mostly in tune if it still bottoms out after a broken string? This doesn't change the fact that it's a PITA to change a string, but then again, after thousands of hours of playing, I've never broke a string on that guitar (I change them regularly).

4. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I love the Floyd for what it does, and over the years I have learned how to handle it's quirks. For one knowing how to do your own setups is a big plus. There are ways to string up quicker, like string up with the ball end at the tuner, keep cutting pliers and spare string within reach at gigs, especially if you are a string breaker, but I have only broken two with my last Floyd in about 8 years, keep the strings changed at regular intervals, attatch hex keys to back of headstock for quick access.
    Nothing seems to do it better for what it does, and once I got familiar with it I found that they are not all that bad, or hard to deal with anymore.

5. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

Use Elixir Nanowebs :crazyguy:D

6. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

Floyd actually makes a speedloader tremelo that has balls at both ends of the strings and a special locking nut that it uses. All the benefits of Floyd without the hassle that plagues you.

7. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Get a tremol-no. It changed my life. It is going on all my trem equipped guitars.

8. vds5000

vds5000 Member

When I had Floyd-equipped guitars, even though I had them sitting on the body so that you couldn't pull up, the guitar would still go out of tune (slightly) if a string were to break - even if the Floyd was still butted against the body. I think the fact that there is one less string pulling the neck forward has something to do with it.