Lovekraft Chupacabra?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dorfmeister, Jan 18, 2008.

1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

http://www.lovekrafteffects.com/servlet/the-Chupacabra/Categories

Here is what the copy says:

[FONT="Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica]"The Chupacabra is a high gain overdrive/distortion pedal modeled after the early small box non-LED Rat pedal. While the early Rat is good sounding, I found the overall tone to be too bright and somewhat buzzy sounding. The Chupacabra’s frequency range has been modified to be fuller and thicker sounding, never brittle or harsh sounding. In addition, the annoying Filter control of the Rat is gone, replaced with a conventional tone control."

Anybody tried one of these? Compared it to a M'OD or a Brown Rabbit or some of the modded Rats?

[​IMG]

[/FONT]

2. RickB

RickB Member

Based on the Mojo Drive which I dig, I would be up for trying one of these. Hopefully there will be a stealth version!

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

4. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

cool!
    it's funny they choose that name for it, the "chupacabras" is a sort of alien or monster that eats farm animals and it's supposed to have been seen in south america (chile/peru) and mexico...:crazy

5. jayn

jayn Member

I've got one. It's really a cool pedal. I've never owned or played a modded Rat and it's been a LONG time since I played a real Rat, so I can't really compare it. I'm also not a high gain type person, so I'm only scratching the surface with it, but it's got all of the good points of the MojoDrive, with a bit different gain structure (more) and more low end and high end...at least that's how I hear it. The only thing I don't like is the string noise when using it...if you slide up and down on the strings, the noise is quite high pitched. That's not to say it would be a problem with someone whose technique isn't as sloppy as mine and it's not to say its any worse than other pedals like this...just noticeable to me, the way I use it, in comparison to the MD.

When I first got it, I thought it was better than the MD. But, after the honeymoon, I went back to the MD more. In general, I think it would be a 50/50 split as far as which pedal folks on this forum prefer. Since I play lower gain, roots rock, I'm probably not getting the most out of it.

(owner of #8 - also in a cool orange swirly case)

6. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Bump.

Anyone get one of these recently?

7. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I'm sending mine back to Ethan (what a great seller he is, btw). It's extremely similar to the Brown Rabbit (not that that is is a bad thing!) and I didn't notice any real tonal differences between the TONE and FILTER knobs.

Basically, if you like the BR/MOD/RAT tone, you'll love this pedal.

And you couldn't be buying from a better guy.

8. rockford

rockford Member

Just got one, and it's one of the best pedals I've ever had. I did have an early 80's (1981) big box rat, and even though that was a while ago, this one is more player friendly, he reworked the filter to be more like the tone on the original. Cannot compare to brown rabbit or m'od, but for the price it's a contender.

9. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Has anyone else A/Bd these 2 pedals? Landy MOd and Lovecraft Chupacabra?