1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lovekraft Mojo Drive: Please Describe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock72, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I am curious about this pedal, and would like some feedback from users. What's it gain structure like? How does it compare to other OD's (f.e., Barber Direct Drive and LTD, Eternity, Tim and Zendrive....).

Info would be much appreciated,
    Christian

2. Twin63

Twin63 Member

At the moment, it's my favorite OD - sounds like it was made for my rig (G&L Legacy > Gries 5).

The Mojo Drive has a 3-way toggle. Up is the Crunch setting (Marshall like, less compressed), middle is Boost (very loud volume boost - I'm actually starting to like this setting with the gain up), and down is Vintage (TS like). It can easily do lower gain up to medium/higher gain and stacks extremely well with my Keeley Rat.

I haven't owned nearly as many OD's as some on this forum, but have had the following:

Bad Monkey, VS J&H (Red), Barber LTD, Keeley Rat, CMATMODS Signa Drive.

The only one similar to the Mojo Drive is the Signa Drive. It has a 3 way toggle and is also very versatile, but to me the Mojo Drive sounds more "amp-like".

As for comparing the MD to the Barber LTD, it's kind of apples to oranges. The LTD excels at low gain OD, while the MD is more of a "desert island" pedal - more versatile and more gain on tap. Both are great pedals.

Hope this helps.

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

It essentially a double tube screamer with even more gain on tap.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The mojodrive can do the compressed TS9 stuff when set to that mode but it really does a lot more. I like all three settings depending on what I want to do. The other settings are more open and as you turn up the tone control you will get more harmonic content and bite. This is the best medium to higher gained pedal I have purchased so far.

I use my Analogman KOT for the clear slightly gainy stuff (think country, soul etc) and the mojodrive for the seering lead stuff, Allmans, heavier blues, etc...

5. guitbeef

guitbeef Member

I've been using a Bad Monkey and I really like it but it just died on me (lights up but passes no signal). I run my Bad Monkey about 11 o'clock gain, bass and treble around 3'oclock into a twin reverb- how does the MD compare in your experience? Think I may dig it as it higher quality replacement for a mid gain fuller bodied overdrive?

Sorry to the OP, not meaning to derail for my sake alone. Guess you could say I'm interested in the answer as well.

6. Twin63

Twin63 Member

I would definitely choose the Mojo Drive over the Bad Monkey. The Bad Monkey is a great pedal for the money, but it doesn't give you the versatility of the Mojo Drive. With the MD, you get true bypass (important for some), 3 gain structures, and more gain on tap. Also, my Gries is a blackface style amp, so the MD should work very well with your Twin Rvb (to be fair, the Gries is an excellent platform for most pedals)

If you like the Bad Monkey, you will love the MD. I've about decided to add a 2nd MD to my board...I like it that much.

7. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Great answers. I think it is the next OD on my list. From what I've heard, it works well with most amps too.

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

You should also be aware that there are two versions of the Mojo Drive - the newer "stealth" model has a few component changes that are supposed to tighten up the low end even more (I say this from recollection - I think there is a better description somewhere, maybe on the eBay auction where I got mine). I had a big box version before this one, and there are some subtle differences. I found the big box version to be a little more "amp-like", while the stealth version has a tighter and more defined overall tone. I really liked both, but for my application I ended up keeping the smaller stealth version.

I don't know if the changes in the stealth version will become the Mojo Drive V2, or if the big box versions will stay the way they are currently. An email to Ethan should answer this question.

FWIW - I use my MD into a '65 Super Reverb, using a variety of different guitars (SC's, P-90's, HB's). This is really a great pedal - 3 distinct and different base tones available with the toggle, TB, and a very big and amp-like tone with lots of gain on tap. It is currently my go-to higher gain OD.

9. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

I've had the big box version and now have the Stealth version. The great thing about the MJ is that I play along with a Classic Rock radio station (until a song that is in Eb comes on) and it just seems to sound sound great for everything. If Ethan made one with a foot switchable second gain knob My Stealth model would be for sale.

10. amphead777

amphead777 Member

A Landy for the masses!

11. jayn

jayn Member

I've got both big and small box. The changes are extremely subtle and definitely fall into the "I doubt you'll hear the differences." There is a different gain pot in the small ones and I think the op amp is *slightly* different (same op amp, different production lot).

That said, I like the small box one a little more. But...I'm pretty sure that's my eyes "hearing" the cool red swirls and not my ears :).

Great pedal.

12. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Can the MD sound like a ZENDRIVE? About the asymmetrical setting, how marshall does it sound? Plexi or JTM45 too with low settings?

13. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

14. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I had the mojo stealth version. It sounds good, but not as smooth as the LDO. The LDO has something that the mojo doesn't have. It sounded nothing like an Eternity. Not as warm. That is compared to en older burst. Not the new "eternity". I ended up sending it back. The mojo is killer for VH type harmonics when you crank the gain. It was also noisier than most ods I have had. I know about 20 people will say that it is quiet, but the one I got was quite noisy.

15. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

Mine is very quite. Also I find that boosting it with the Bad Monkey works really for lead. I turn the BM gain knob all the way down and set the tone almost all the way up. Of course it does get a little noisy when boosted.

16. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Interesting point of view since it's definitely out of the chorus and hype...