• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Lovekraft MojoDrive vs. MJM Phantom Overdrive/Blues Devil

TenneyThe2nd

Silver Supporting Member
So which one would be the best Tubescreamer for me?

I don't play SRV covers. I don't necessarily need the classic Tubescreamer sound, but I do want something that I can run medium gain with just the right kind of mid hump.

I had a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET, but it came across way to bright in my rig. I have a Strat with an upgraded Tone Cap (which makes is brighter at 10, but more usable at other settings than without the mod) and a Blues Jr.

I run all my dirt through a TIM most of the time, which helps me have the ability to set my Blues Jr. a bit more blackfacey and use the TIM to even out the EQ and make it respond a bit more Voxey. That makes it a better platform for pedals.

When reading all the "Best Tubescreamer" threads, all signs point to the MJM Blues Devil (now the Phantom Overdrive). Then again, the Lovekraft pedals are very accurate clones of Landy stuff that sells for 400 bucks.

Also, the Lovekraft has more options. It sounds kind of like the front side of the FD2 (Vintage mode, CompCut/Boost mode, Flat Mids/Marshall mode).

So, who wins? Lovekraft MojoDrive or MJM Phantom Overdrive?

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
I don't play SRV covers. I don't necessarily need the classic Tubescreamer sound, but I do want something that I can run medium gain with just the right kind of mid hump.
I have tried the Landgraff, great pedal. if you want "more" from a pedal.
The Phantom is just right for my needs.

ford

Modz
Staff member
Well I have a MojoDrive and love it.... AND I have a Phantom that should be arriving tomorrow..(thanks Tonefactor!)

It might be two weeks before I can really put them through their paces as we are in the middle of moving right now...and my band doesn't have another show until April 17th.. so until we really get to rehearse for that show it will be only home levels on the volume.

I plan on keeping both.. one will stay on the big board.. the other will go on the smaller worship rig board. I'll probably end up putting the Mojodrive on the smaller board anyway because of it's utility factor.

rock

bford

RickB

Both are great pedals. The Mojo gives you the Landy options as mentioned above. The Phantom has a bass/gain boost switch which the Blues Devil didn't have. It really comes down to whether or not you want LED clipping and diode lifting or if you want the ability to increase the low end and gain a bit. They are both priced right and well below a lot of the competition. I have found that the Phantom has a dynamics and feel thing happening that no other TS pedal can match. I often wish I still had the Mojo around as I miss the LED clipping mode which was great on that pedal. But I am really digging the touch sensitivity and bass/gain boost of the Phantom. Tough call on which one to get as I highly recommend both of them.

marsos52

i have the mojo and i have not used the other two you are comparing.
all i can tell you is the mojo its a wonderful pedal. i had a landy for years and i grow tired of it. i bought the mojo and before in came i said to my self why did you buy it. its a clone. it is setup like the landy but its no clone. others have said this to. the mojo has more sustain and blends with the amps tone better. it sings.

for low volume i mostly use the ts setting and for higher volumes the marshal/dumble
side. also it stacks so good
i just cant say enough about it. i keep two or more o/d's around because i tend to get tired of them. this pedal hasnt moved off my board since i got it. i run a voodoo blues or lately my barbershop in front of it. this gives me three great drives

pullagnm

I have a big box Mojo Drive and it does have the brightness that your trying to get away from. Maybe the newer small boxed ones are different I don't know. I had the LDO and the tone controls work differently. The Landy was smoother while the Mojo has more sizzle.

rhythmrocker

1966 Battle of the Bands
I have had both and between the two, I still have my Blues Devil.
I like it best with my Bluesbird.
By the way, I play da blues.

TenneyThe2nd

Silver Supporting Member
I have a big box Mojo Drive and it does have the brightness that your trying to get away from. Maybe the newer small boxed ones are different I don't know. I had the LDO and the tone controls work differently. The Landy was smoother while the Mojo has more sizzle.
I'm not sure that I'm trying to get away from brightness, however, my amp doesn't have a Presence control, and it seems like an ultra-high-end came through on the FD2 Mosfet... It was like taking a graphic eq and pushing up the highest slider even though the tone knob was going down. I could eventually get rid of it, but by then I was running my FD2 tone knob at like 9:30 and it was a bit too dark. There was no way to get manageable highs.

So I wonder if the Mojo will have the same problem, even if it is considered "bright".

TenneyThe2nd

Silver Supporting Member
I actually subscribed to that thread a few months ago. Unfortunately, the clips aren't working for me. I signed up for a soundclick listener account and it still doesn't work. Anybody know why?

I'm a big fan of Lovekraft pedals. The Phantom OD is on my list to try. Here's a Mojo/Chuba thread. Posts #5 & #30 have clips, in post #48, Ethan talks about swapping out different chips...
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/483528&highlight=mojo+drive

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
I actually subscribed to that thread a few months ago. Unfortunately, the clips aren't working for me. I signed up for a soundclick listener account and it still doesn't work. Anybody know why?
Real Player problem, uodate? :dunno

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Big fan of Ethan and LK, but the Phantom is the best pedal of its type.

Trending Topics