Lovepedal Amp 11 vs Lovepedal OD 11

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vangit, Feb 24, 2012.

1. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

I've always had one or the other...I never had both at the same time. "WITHOUT" engaging the boost on the Amp 11....do the two pedals sound the same? I've read the circuits are the same...I've also read they sound different. Would love some thoughts from those that have compared the two.

2. Dropebox

Dropebox Member

I have a OD11, but never tried de Amp11.

You can ask this directly to the support area at Lovepedal's site. They always answered me quickly when I needed.

now you made ​​me curious too.

3. koa

koa Member

In my opinion the OD11 is more open and has more gain. One of my favorite OD's ever.

4. MarkF786

MarkF786 Member

I've A-B'ed the pedals and they sound exactly the same at any given setting (without the boost of course). I connected both pedals, set them to a common setting, engaged one pedal, and then stomped on both of them many times without looking so I no longer knew which one was which, and then listened for a difference; there was no difference to be heard. And since people over at FSB verified that the circuit is exactly the same, it supports my findings.

I guess those golden-eared people who can hear directionality in a cable might tell you they sound different. Maybe Sean swapped the direction of the traces on the PCB to make the OD11 sound better. But for the average human, they sound the same.

5. Whalestone

Whalestone Member

MarkF786, I assume your inquiries mentioned here remained unanswered?

6. Dropebox

Dropebox Member

this silence makes me think that yes, the circuits are equal. Otherwise, why he did not respond as usual?

7. cue311

cue311 Member

He did confirm on his facebook page recently that they are the same, but for the life of me I can't find it now..

8. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Leading to the response that Lovepedal Amp11 = Lovepedal OD Eleven + Boost
    Therefore a Lovepedal Amp11 - boost = Lovepedal OD Eleven
    Is my Maths y'all correct?
    Yeah substrate boost from both sides and the equation remains valid.
    Proof solved.
    Feels like University study

9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I have owned both... to my ears the left side of the A11 did not sound exactly like the OD11 (stressing exactly). Are there close similarities in sound, yeah sure. There are similarities to the Timmy too, but as a Timmy owner and and Amp11 now, all three have something slightly different going on. I didn't like the OD11 near as much as I like the A11 and Timmy. It also depends on the guitar amp combo you're running and how you're using the pedal. I run a Fender amp and the Timmy is better suited as a solo boost pedal while the Amp11 gives me a great combo with the COT boost side as a second and third "channel" for my CVR.

I guess my answer to the OP is there is definite crossover between these pedals, but I can hear the differences in my set up. FWIW, I had an Amp11 and traded it for something else that's no longer on my board. I tried an OD11 and it just didn't have enough gain for me, so I brought the Amp11 back to use the COT boost for that extra gear I sometimes need for some material. I also still have my Timmy as a solo boost and I use a Keeley BD2 as well... lots of crossover in all these pedals, but at the end of the day it's how you dial them in and use them in your arsenal.

Charly GuitarNerd likes this.
  10. MarkF786

MarkF786 Member

No, Sean never replied.

Possibly why some people hear a slight difference is due to the slight difference between any two pedals that are the same, due to the tolerance of components.

BTW, I too at first through the Amp11 (and then the OD11) didn't sound like my Tim, but then I found where the range of the knobs overlapped and when dialed in accordingly, the pedals did sound near identical.

I recently sold my Amp11 and my Tim is up for sale, but I'm still holding onto my OD11 until the Timmy I ordered arrives.

11. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Yep-
    10-20% X # of components can add up and make a (sometimes significant)
    difference.