• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Lovepedal Amp 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiTED

rock > talk
omg, 3 listed with BIN prices of $229.95-265. 7 sold recently for $189-235, going back to March 11. I paid $169. That's a "bunch" being "dumped"? lol
I just think the whole situation has left a bad taste in many people's mouths, even among this who previously liked their Lovepedals. Anytime there are allegations of ethical misconduct, the angry mobs will assemble on both sides. It's so easy to take another's intellectual property that we'll continue to see this more and more. As a professional photographer, I have been the victim several times.

Then again, there are plenty of Tim(my) for sale at higher than new prices, too, so it's fitting the Amp 11 gets the flipper treatment. Supply and demand.

jpagey

Silver Supporting Member
I just think the whole situation has left a bad taste in many people's mouths, even among this who previously liked their Lovepedals...
Then again, there are plenty of Tim(my) for sale at higher than new prices, too, so it's fitting the Amp 11 gets the flipper treatment. Supply and demand.
RIGHT. Crystal clear.

The Timmy's sold for higher prices is "supply and demand". The Amp 11 sellers for higher prices need to floss. Got it.

digiTED

rock > talk
RIGHT. Crystal clear.

The Timmy's sold for higher prices is "supply and demand". The Amp 11 sellers for higher prices need to floss. Got it.
A cruise though the TGPorium looks a lot more like Amp 11's getting dumped.

Read into it whatever you want see. People pay $$$ for Burny Les Pauls, too. There's the appeal of the spectacle/controversy affecting demand as well. I know you say you're friends with Sean which is cool and all for you guys, but the aggro defender thing doesn't move the conversation along IMO.

Enjoy your Amp 11, man, I mean it. These little boxes are for making cool sounds above all else, right?

jpagey

Silver Supporting Member
A cruise though the TGPorium looks a lot more like Amp 11's getting dumped.

Read into it whatever you want see. People pay $$$ for Burny Les Pauls, too. There's the appeal of the spectacle/controversy affecting demand as well. I know you say you're friends with Sean which is cool and all for you guys, but the aggro defender thing doesn't move the conversation along IMO.

Enjoy your Amp 11, man, I mean it. These little boxes are for making cool sounds above all else, right?
I thought we were talking specifically about eBay. I will check what they are going for in the Emporium. Selling for HIGHER than list price doesn't = "dumping" in my book.

Edit-found one on p.2...$170 shipped.
Does the aggro attack thing move the conversation along?

RichR

In case anyone wants to discuss the pedal, as opposed to perpetuating the drama...

I received my Amp 11 on Monday, and have played with it a few times, using my Les Paul Deluxe with mini-hums into an Egnater Rebel 20. At first, had trouble finding the sound I wanted at a volume that more-or-less matched the straight amp volume.

I found the settings that work in my rig. I had to put the gain control down to about 7:00, then bring the level up to about 8:00. Also running the boost between 7:00 and 8:00. All very low. Sounds incredible like that-- keeping level and drive at similar levels, with drive a little higher than gain. Of course, this is relevant to my rig and my tastes, only.

Those settings were with the (single-channel) amp set at light crunch. With the amp clean-as-possible, I dial in a little more gain, but not much.

When I started tweaking, I tried using the gain at about noon. I had to keep the level way down. Sounds 100% better (for me) with the gain down. And I've got some wiggle room in my level adjustment.

The boost adds some fatness and punch. Again, I had to keep the boost's gain down unusually low. I think the boost will make a very practical lead boost. Originally planned on stacking it with my OCD. But I think the boost will do it for me.

Haven't tried it with my strat yet. Maybe higher settings will be in order. But with my Les Paul all settings are between 7:00 and 8:00 (very low) and it sounds fantastic, with volumes in line with straight amp volume.

Anxious to put it through its paces at band rehearsal tonight, and some gigs next weekend!

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
^^^ good info... I get mine tomorrow and have band rehearsal on Sunday. Can't wait to give it a go! I only use sc strats, so I'm guessing my levels on the volume and gain will be closer to noon.

ben_allison

That and the different opamp selection Ben.
When it comes to hearing "drastic" differences, opamp selection would def not be the culprit. Minimal differences at best.

Audio vs linear pots, that completely place different sounds at different locations would make a massive difference when trying to dial things in the same.

tibbon

When it comes to hearing "drastic" differences, opamp selection would def not be the culprit. Minimal differences at best.
Different op amps do sound different though. There's more components inside that op amp than on the rest of the pedal in total.

You could always try some swapping around of op amps and see what happens.

RichR

^^^ good info... I get mine tomorrow and have band rehearsal on Sunday. Can't wait to give it a go! I only use sc strats, so I'm guessing my levels on the volume and gain will be closer to noon.
I should also mention that my A11's Boost pot makes a scratchy noise when being turned (when active). Thought I might have a defective pot, so contacted LP about it.

They told me that this is normal. The boost pot is actually a bias adjustment. (The tube blend on my Egnater Rebel is scratchy in the same way, and also "normal".)

Apparently the COT50 and AMP50 do this also. If it is normal, I can live with that. Just wanted to ensure that I didn't have a bad pot in a new piece of gear.

aaronblues

Silver Supporting Member
I should also mention that my A11's Boost pot makes a scratchy noise when being turned (when active). Thought I might have a defective pot, so contacted LP about it.

They told me that this is normal. The boost pot is actually a bias adjustment. (The tube blend on my Egnater Rebel is scratchy in the same way, and also "normal".)

Apparently the COT50 and AMP50 do this also. If it is normal, I can live with that. Just wanted to ensure that I didn't have a bad pot in a new piece of gear.
Yep normal. I've owned 3 COT/amp variants, and they all do that. Same as a Zvex SHO, Crackle OK!

cheers

NetStar

:rotflmao
Just a twist on things... meaning specifically different pot tapers and ICs.
It must suck to spend all those years slaving over a hot breadboard to finally come up with a circuit, identical bar a few component differences, to one that's already been on the market for 13 years.

All that hard work and to think, if only he'd looked on The Forbidden Forum; all the information was readily available... :jo

hangten

Gold Supporting Member
A/B-ing the Amp11 with my TIM is interesting.
I spent about an hour with the two yest, but wouldn't say I've done an exhaustive comparison. lots of similar sounds...

The only definitive things I could say are that the TIM seemed more "open", AMP11 more "boxy". Also, the OD sections seem most similar, the boost sections seem more different from each other. YMMV.

I'm betting that boxiness can be dialed out of the Amp11 based on listening to Fatback and MHerman's excellent demos...just got it and am still getting to know it.

ran them thru BF bandmaster, handwired marshall 1987x, and swart ast pro mk II.

both very cool pedals.

Andre357

PSA: The Amp 11 is no longer on Sean's website.

It seems it was moved to the " custom area " . Click on the custom shop tab and he has it there. Just looked at it....

PS EDIT - actually, when you click " pedals " it's about halfway down under " custom "

NetStar

Also, the OD sections seem most similar, the boost sections seem more different from each other. YMMV.
That makes sense. It's the actual overdrive section that is the same circuit architecture.

The boost in the Amp11 is an Electra Distortion slamming the overdrive, whereas in the Tim the boost is an altering of the gain of the actual overdrive, if my memory of what Paul Cochrane explained serves me correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics