Lovepedal Amp 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proco

^^^^
For me it's just simple censorship... I've been banned a few days just because I discussed the Amp 11 issue... that's stupid if you think about it: AFAIK this an open forum, and ALL users should be equal (unless maybe the admins), but (some) builders seem to enjoy special treatment... why? Dunno, maybe they pay to the forum or whatever.

And yes, lot's (most) of builders started just as DIYers no more, and took profit of people's help and resources you can find there at FSB.org... but they're easy on forgetting things, and labeling themselves as "pedal guru" and "boutique construction with best components available" which most of the times it's not true.
And that's another reason the Forbiden Forum IS forbiden... they open up the pedals, take the goop off (if there's any), trace the circuit and components and voilà: most times the "holy grail tone" that took "years of research" to develop it's just another TS, RAT, FF, (put you favourite classic pedal here)... and the components aren't even THAT good.

So yeah, here people can critizice FSB.org as much as they want, but if they spend the time to see what's in there, well, that could change their (sometimes) narrow minds about that.

... some builders are treated like heroes here, I just don't get it.

Last edited:

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
Applying logic, since they're the only two differences in the overdrive circuit, why wouldn't you say they're the "main" factors?

I think I know which forum you're talking about. They like taking things apart, yeah?
Is the forum REALLY forbidden to mention here?
What I meant was that they were both factors but agreed with Ben that the opamp difference was probably the more subtle of the two cited differences. So maybe that means it isn't the "main" thing that's fooling people into thinking the pedals can't be that similar.

I went on to mention that I can definitely hear the effect of an opamp swap myself in a pedal that I know well, in other words I still consider the opamp selection a relevant factor.

I dunno, I don't want to get into hair-splitting my main point in my first post replying to Ben was simply to mention that the opamp choice was also different.

MegaMang

Exactly MegaMang..
not to mention Boutiquers taking from other Boutiquers.
I think that's particularly ugly.

What I meant was that they were both factors but agreed with Ben that the opamp difference was probably the more subtle of the two cited differences. So maybe that means it isn't the "main" thing that's fooling people into thinking the pedals can't be that similar.

I went on to mention that I can definitely hear the effect of an opamp swap myself in a pedal that I know well, in other words I still consider the opamp selection a relevant factor.
Gotcha. I agree.
I hate saying I *know* something I don't have verifiable data for, but I've heard opamp shootouts where some ICs were behaving pretty differently.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
Gotcha. I agree.
I hate saying I *know* something I don't have verifiable data for, but I've heard opamp shootouts where some ICs were behaving pretty differently.
Unfortunately I don't usually understand the verifiable data as I have no electronics knowledge but somehow I always feel better when someone tells me they can see what I'm hearing on a scope!

I can convince myself that I'm keeping the madness at bay! :)

MegaMang

Unfortunately I don't usually understand the verifiable data as I have no electronics knowledge but somehow I always feel better when someone tells me they can see what I'm hearing on a scope!

I can convince myself that I'm keeping the madness at bay! :)
Well, I haven't seen any verifiable data I understand either, so we might both just be hallucinating!

screamingduck

Yes. Great advertising for PaulC's Timmy. Fantastic pedal...I love mine.
Being the "Glass half full" guy that I am, I sincerely hope that Paul C. gets a HUGE boost in sales of the Tim/Timmy pedal. :dude
When I read his calm, intelligent responses compared to "guru's" late night outbursts and rants it really put's things into perspective for me.
Just damn!

Aran

This thread and all subsequent Amp 11 threads are reopened.

I've talked to Sean and Paul. The two have talked yesterday. There is no issue or claims being pressed from either side and the topic is now open. You are free to share your thoughts and opinions as long as they adhere to the rules of the board here on TGP.

I would like to remind folks one simple caveat. This is TGP and we have a very simple set of rules we adhere to. That is the only thing the moderators here are enforcing; the claims I've read on other sites of favoritism is simply not true. But do not bring your crusade to simply bring down one person or company because you are convinced of some assumed wrong doing. No matter how strong your conviction, or whatever you believe in your heart, this was, is and will remain completely up to PaulC and Sean about how this shakes out.

If you bring your agenda here and break the rules of TGP in your posts, you will be held accountable for it. The rules are in the FAQ link below and above on EVERY page of TGP. Take 30 seconds and review them; if you post here, you agreed to follow them.

Thank you for your patience. It was imperative to me that the actual involved parties speak their mind and also communicate before we decide what to do on any of this. That has now happened and you are welcome to share you opinions and thoughts ALTHOUGH you need to do so in a civil manner.
Maybe a reminder is in order.

DTuned

I have to say that these Amp Eleven threads have just been fascinating. The builders, the designs, the allegations, the non-allegations, the fan clubs, the anger, the insults, moderator involvement, threads closed...there were even a few pedal reviews. When do the depositions start? It kind of reminds me of that Facebook movie...yeah, The Social Network.

I just ordered the Amp Eleven direct from Lovepedal. The price is good, and I just couldn't resist obtaining the object of all this "discussion." My wife doesn't know yet, but that's another thread. Maybe I'll just send her a link to this thread so she can understand why another overdrive pedal is so compelling. (She wanted me to get the special edition Englishwoman because it was so pretty, but we didn't jump on it fast enough.)

Do any experts know the legalities of pedal design? Can you come up with a "circuit" (whatever that is) and legally protect it from being used by another builder? Or are these all just slight variations on an old invention that's not protected? Sort of like anyone can make a guitar with a strat body as long as they don't put the Fender name on it and they come up with their own headstock. This also reminds me of when Satriani sued Coldplay, claiming they stole his little melodic phrase, and then YouTube informed us that numerous other artists had used the exact same phrase before Satriani. Maybe it's fine for anyone to make their own product by putting a twist on something used before.

Aran

I have to say that these Amp Eleven threads have just been fascinating. The builders, the designs, the allegations, the non-allegations, the fan clubs, the anger, the insults, moderator involvement, threads closed...there were even a few pedal reviews. When do the depositions start? It kind of reminds me of that Facebook movie...yeah, The Social Network.

I just ordered the Amp Eleven direct from Lovepedal. The price is good, and I just couldn't resist obtaining the object of all this "discussion." My wife doesn't know yet, but that's another thread. Maybe I'll just send her a link to this thread so she can understand why another overdrive pedal is so compelling. (She wanted me to get the special edition Englishwoman because it was so pretty, but we didn't jump on it fast enough.)

Do any experts know the legalities of pedal design? Can you come up with a "circuit" (whatever that is) and legally protect it from being used by another builder? Or are these all just slight variations on an old invention that's not protected? Sort of like anyone can make a guitar with a strat body as long as they don't put the Fender name on it and they come up with their own headstock. This also reminds me of when Satriani sued Coldplay, claiming they stole his little melodic phrase, and then YouTube informed us that numerous other artists had used the exact same phrase before Satriani. Maybe it's fine for anyone to make their own product by putting a twist on something used before.

You know that's a good point. If we were limited by truly unique circuit designs I bet we'd have a less rich pedal world to choose from.

I personally and a fan of both pedals.

popinvasion

Thats a total cop out to start saying that we now need this kind of innovation, competition. Yes I understand pedal evolution and inspired by and all that, but this situation is not that.

jb1911

Funny you say "both."

I mean we aren't really talking about two different pedals here.
In truth I've seen the schematics and they ARE the same, but as far as tone goes, they are not the same. I have them both right now and have been comparing them for a week now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics