Lovepedal Balance...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Jun 4, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Can any players here compare/contrast the Balance from Sean's other pedals? If you own one, how are you using it?

Thanks!

2. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I use it before my Eternity for fat clean tones. It adds a lot of volume, and a little grit when turned up between 8 and 12 o'clock, to your signal, so it is comparable to my od levels. I don't like running my od's at unity with the amp, so it allows me to have a semi-clean tone at a volume close to my od so I can turn off the Eternity and turn on the Balance for my clean tone. If you turn the Balance past about 2 o'clock, you start getting dirtier. All the way clockwise and your crunchin' on the edge of fuzz.
    I run it in front on my E because I can step on it with the E already on and get a BIG fat tone without too much volume increase. The Balance has a wide range on tones across the knob, so you have to experiment. With both running, I can get my strat to sustain and howl.

3. rewog

rewog Member

The Balance is in a similar vein to the COT.
    I use mine before an Eternity as well set at around 10.00.

4. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

So, it probably plays the same role as my RC Boost - to get the signal hotter and more present.

5. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

The Lovepedal Balance is essentially a beefed-up COT - a little more low end - more of a full-range tone. The difference between the two does warrent having both on the same board - but the "character" of the tone they produce is the same. And, like the COT, the Balance cleans up remarkably well with your guitar volume.

FWIW - I will have both of these pedals for sale in the Emporium (once I figure out how to post pics there!) - I have a matched black set with LED's and 9v jacks. Check it out.

6. rewog

rewog Member

No, I don't think you can compare the COT or the Balance to a clean boost at all (although some do).
    These pedals have a very distinctive tone, feel and response that is not really like a boost pedal at all. These characteristics are there even when there isn't a lot of gain dialled in, so even though the gain can be turned down to a boost (rather than an overdrive) level, you are still using a pedal which adds a lot more than a level increase.

Sorry, that's the best I can explain it - I hope it makes sense.

I think the way people describe these pedals adds to the confusion sometimes. I've seen them called a boost, a pre-amp, an Overdrive and even a Fuzz.
    To me, they are a very tasty Overdrive with a wide range of settings from one knob - and they happen to work amazingly well in front of other pedals.

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks guys!

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Do all of you Balance owners have units that are battery only?
    In your experience, how long does the battery last?

9. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

BillyK,

The new Balance pedal only works off a 9 volt battery. In regard to
    battery life, I don't have an answer but it seems to lasting just fine.
    I would say it's at the longer life end of the spectrum. Sean has simplified
    the circuit and removed the LED and in his own words describes the
    Balance as "The Ultimate Pre-Amp Pedal".

What I can say is that is very transparent and can work as a boost, an
    overdrive and even a distortion pedal. The most important quality, to me,
    is that these pedals sound so electric and really make you feel the power
    and electricity moving through your hands and guitar.

Hope this is helpful.

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks CliffC! Appreciate the input.

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Sounds like the Balance is a good pedal to run first in the chain. Most of you guys just leave it pluged in when your rig is powered down?

12. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I run mine with the 9v clip adapter connected to a power adapter on my Furman board. It runs dead quiet with no need for a battery.

13. fatback

fatback Member

14. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I believe I have a clip adapter as well that came with my PP2. But isn't it a PIA to use it? How do you run the wires into a pedal? Leave it bottomless? Drill a hole?? Am I missing something here???

Thanks!

15. Judson

Judson Senior Member

I have one and a COT 50 as well and used to own many of Seans creations but I have slimed it down to these two for now. I use mine before the COT to push the COT into fuzz, or ill pump the knob up on the COT a bit and run the Balance full out. This creats a huge fuzz sound with a controlable volume because the COT sounds as if its collapsing on itself making a verry unique end of the world tone. Almost like a KARL run full up with out any octave in it infrount of a hot amp. I had an E for a while but it seemed a little redundant for I use an already smooth big broken up tone and it seems that thats what the pedal was made for. I had a black magic as well but since I no longer need the high gain stuff it has been sold off for other things.

I also use the Balance as a preamp for recording at home and it has served as a direct box on acoustic gigs. And in frount of my Wah Probe it gets a really neat high gain wah tone with the boost up a little on the wah and the Balance at around 2.

Its really my utility pedal, it seems like I never turn it off, and I got a custom one from Sean off ebay with a power jack and a slightly larger enclosure.

On a side note I use it infrount of a cooking 6L6 loaded amp with a Custom Shop Strat. It was really a great buy.

16. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the info Judson.

I've got a Balance waiting for me at home right now! I'll report back later.

17. utterhack

utterhack Member

Looking forward to the report. Be prepared for some very fat clean tones below 12:00 on the dial :)

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Honeymoon report says that the Balance is great and very unique. Voiced beautifully.

Question: is the pot sort of a bias pot which might explain why it's scratchy?

19. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I believe it is. Mine is scratchy too. Great pedal. I have a COT and a Karl too. Not using any of them right now, mainly a Suhr OD100 Classic cranked with a bit of Zendrive. I'm keeping them for now, they may make it back to my board.

20. utterhack

utterhack Member

Yes, scratchy pot means everything's working right.