Lovepedal E6 Anniv. & PP800 Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iggs, Mar 8, 2008.

1. iggs

iggs Member

Hey all!

I spent some more time with these two today and figured I post a few thoughts.

Setup: Dr.Z Route 66, Z-Best 2x12, THD Hot Plate, Am Dlx Ash Tele, Am Std Hard-Tail Strat w/2 humbuckers, JB in bridge and '59 in the neck.

E6 Anniversary

Came in silver (read: fancy way of saying unfinished) and unmarked. I was kinda disappointed because I thought these are "special" anniversary version, only 10 made ... etc. but it's "tour pro", SMD build inside. I really don't care one way or another but for $20 less I could've gotten the "regular" version which looks wicked in orange with the same guts inside. Whatever, no biggie, lesson learned.

That aside, the pedal sounds great. It's a bright pedal. With my Tele it's a bit much for my taste regardless of where the "glass" is set. The Dlx Tele really isn't excessively bright and sounds fine with other OD, distortion and fuzz pedals I have. Also, I'm not sure if this is how the other E's are but the volume needs to be around 3 o'clock to reach unity which does not leave much for volume boost, not a biggie. I tried with and without buffered pedals before and after E6 with same result.

Now ... with the JB & '59 loaded Strat is another story. It sounds really, really good ... it cuts like hot knife through butter. Really rich, saturated and pinch harmonics just scream! Open and uncompressed without the annoying mid content. My favorite setting is volume and gain all the way up and glass around 10-11 o'clock. I didn't like the regular E when I tried it (with same setup) but this one rocks. It does not have 3X the gain of regular E in my humble opinion but everything else is as described. It is bright so I think it will work best with darker guitars and amps ... unless one likes the brightness.

Purple Plexi 800

Purple finish (duh!), unmarked, came with a bit of paint missing from bottom left corner and some scratches ... not a biggie. Custom shop build ... PTP inside (no board, all components soldered together and gooped).

This one worked out the opposite of the E6. With my Tele it sounded amazing. Made the Tele sound like it was loaded with humbuckers. Tons of gain and volume boost. The tone control is more like a mid-sweep and works nice across the range, I liked it the best around 12-1 o'clock. It is very saturated and excels at high-gain, chugga-chugga style. Even with so much saturation and gain maxed out, it did not sound overly compressed. With the gain down it still sounded really good and crunchy but I don't think that's what it was designed for ... just crank it up and let it scream. If you want something with less gain, get something else or the "regular" Purple Plexi.

With the Strat it sounded too "blown-out" for my taste. Seems like the humbuckers push it too hard and it looses definition and starts to overly compress, backing off the gain cleans and opens it up a bit but I still felt it was "choking". It seems to be voiced for single coils or low-output humbuckers.

Both E6 and PP800 clean up quite nice with guitar volume turned down. Also, both pedals seem pretty quiet (relatively speaking) for that much gain.

That's all folks!

:dude:dude:dude

2. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for that. I have been wondering about the E6 orange.
    The one thing I find most interesting is that you have the volume at 3 o'clock for unity.
    Every E I have had had a ton of volume available. I usually can't get mine past 9 or 10 o'clock.
    The one I have now is a Roadhouse variety. It is the best one I have used but the E6 intrigues me!

3. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I've been thinking about this pedal lately... anyone else have the same experience?

4. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

i think low output buckers work best. awesome pedal

5. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Would the WCR buckers fit into that category?