1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lovepedal Eternity - 4 Chips, 4 Clips

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RickB, May 17, 2006.

1. RickB

RickB Member

A couple of Satuday's ago, I was messing around with some different chips in my Eternity and thought I'd do a few quick clips of each of them with the same settings. These are all just one takes to a backing project I had running. It is my Fender California Strat on the neck pickup which is a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Blues through the Eternity (settings are gain full and tone around 1 o'clock) a little delay, into the J-Stations then into the M-One for some reverb and then to the Delta 1010. Settings are the same for all clips. Some of you might have seen this on HCEF but for those of you who didn't and might be interested, I thought I'd repost it here. Opinions were mixed as to who could hear the differences in them and who couldn't. I think the conversion to mp3 files might be taking away a little from them. It is also a big feel thing as well as the sound. Oh and sorry for the crappy playing. :(

Stock Chip

TL072ACN

TS922IN

TL062IN

[​IMG]

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I guess you answered my white dragon thread question here. Nice tones here too. I guess you're not missing too much if you E comes with only one chip?

3. RickB

RickB Member

Not true at all. The stock chip is probably my favorite followed by the TL072ACN. The other two chips are a bit duller sounding and I don't care for those. Going from the stock to the TL072ACN, the sound gets tighter. There is a big change in the "feel" of the pedal. I wish it could come across better in the clips because the differences are more noticeable in person.

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep, the "feel" was pretty símilar on the clips. Should hear it in person me thinks.

5. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I liked the sound of the stock the best.. Thick but not muddy.

GOD, trade me one. Or buy something here.

6. drolling

drolling Member

mmm.. w/the stock chip, my E ramps up to full-bore distortion in under a quarter turn of the clip control. The response is far more gradual and linear w/TL072ACN.

Pedal went from unusable to one of my all-time favorites w/a simple chip swap.

Now I open all new pedals to check for a socketed op-amp, but so far I've gone back to stock w/everything except for Eternity..

7. skiraly017

skiraly017 Guest

The TL072 is probably my favorite op-amp. Swapped the stock op-amp in my Blues Pro for the TL072 and it made a great pedal even better.

8. matchless1069

matchless1069 Member

Thanks for the clips. I've got one on the way :)

9. radcliff

radcliff Member

i dont think the playing was bad at all

it allowed me to hear the pedal, and realize i dont really need an eternity

10. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Has anyone tried a JRC4559 (Tubescreamer Opamp) in the Eternity?

Is the TL072 one of the IC's included with the Eternity? Thanks!

11. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

The TL072 is the Marshall Bluesbreaker chip. I find it very warm and smooth and is on of my favorite Opamps.

If I spend 289.00 (God Bless you Sean) on this box, I would try the LM308 from Small Bear. It is the chip from the RAT. Very hard to find these. I bet it would sound cool in this box.

12. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I've had some luck with the Timmy JRC4559 in my Eternity-yet to try the others because I've been distracted by my Klon a bit.

Rick B I was wondering if it would be possible to do the same thing again with the gain at lesser settings? I suspect with less compression the individual differences in chip characters might be more discernable. Certain chips will have certain gain sweet spots too.

13. gulliver

gulliver Member

It's a tough choice to leave the levels the same when doing a test like this because it does make sense to do so, but changing chips can also alter the output and distortion levels. It's one of those things where the difference is small, but you need to mess with the settings with each chip to find your personal preference.

14. RickB

RickB Member

:AOK I am working on it. Been hectic this week so I haven't had time to go through the whole process again. But I was thinking the same thing in terms of the lower gain setting. :) I'll have them done up ASAP!

15. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Cheers that'd be great.

16. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Is it easy to remove the stock ship / install another and vice-versa ? i fill shy about it... :eek:

17. drolling

drolling Member

Don't be shy - but do get the little tool designed to pry them out, as it's not impossible to bust off those tiny, fragile legs..

In a pinch, good tweezers'll do. Just make sure the new chip's in the same (there's an indentation at one end) orientation as the old one.

18. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

where ?

19. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Dang it! I meant has anyone tried the JRC4558 OpAmp...? I always confuse that with the 4559... not the one I meant)

20. RickB

RickB Member

With my E, a chip puller would not fit in around the chip. There is too much going on around the socket. If your finger nails aren't chewed down to the skin, then you should be able to just use your fingers to gently wiggle the chip out. If not, a pair of alligator nose pliers will work fine. Just grab on to it and wiggle it out. Don't pull as you will risk damaging the pins. When putting a new chip in, make sure to align one side and then push the other row of legs over the holes. New chips have a decent spread to them so you will need to really pay attention to how it is getting seated. All in all, it is very simple and painless!